Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Eibach springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach springs

I just bought some eibach pro kit springs for my 94 pontiac trans am. and some people say i need to change shocks and struts, but i called eibach and they said they would work fine on stoch struts and shocks
Old 04-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Launching!

yes u can use your stock struts/shocks but the ride quality will be very rough. Because they are probably a few years old and they aren't ment to be on a lowered car. It would be smartest to replace the shocks and springs at one time instead of just doing the springs and finding out the ride is horrible then having to go back and do shock aswell.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Well the problem is i got eibach springs and wasn't looking at spending alot of money. And come to find out shocks and struts are going to cost about 500 dollars. And so i know i am going to have to get shocks now would it be ok not going with adjustable shocks.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to go with adjustables. There are some decent struts that are inexpensive. The good thing is that you'll feel the handling difference immediately.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PONTIACTRANSAM94
Well the problem is i got eibach springs and wasn't looking at spending alot of money. And come to find out shocks and struts are going to cost about 500 dollars. And so i know i am going to have to get shocks now would it be ok not going with adjustable shocks.
i recomend if you dont want to spend much money and buy a set of 4 kyb agxs they are aobut 350 for all 4. They work great for lowering springs, also adjustable. imo order mine from byunspeed.com or summit i think its cheaper there

Last edited by gc302047; 05-02-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Well the reason i was wondering about the adjustable shock was i dont race it or anything. I just wanted to lower the car with the springs and wanted just a little better ride quality. What would be the advantage to buy the adjustable one then.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PONTIACTRANSAM94
Ain't this always the case?

There's tons of threads on this. Do a search and come to your own conclusion on if shocks are worth it to you.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that same setup as you a few years back Pontiac, so I kinda know where you're coming from. I really didn't like the pro-kit that much (although the ride height looked perfect) and I wanted my car better suited for track days and stuff like that so I decided to change it up. At the same time I didn't want to drop a grand on Koni Yellows, so I opted to buy a different strut.

I guess to answer your question the KYB AGXs gc302047 is talking about really arn't adjustable to the extent of the Konis where you can change them for certain road/track situations etc. They are a good strut though. But like you implied there really isn't any advantage to buy an adjustable strut of any kind if you arn't planning on ever adjusting them. But whatever you do, figure out what you want so you arn't paying for and installing multiple items. Do it right so you only have to do it once, you know. There are a lot of guys with the pro-kit in here so I imagine they might be able to give you some ideas on how their car rides and some options of what you could possibly do.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the pro kit with the stock shocks * our cars dont use "struts" *
The ride is cadiliac like and keeps bouncing of the bump stops. Very poor choice unless you get some stiffer shocks to help it stay off the stops.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would also reccomend replacing your shocks/struts with the springs just wait a little while until you can afford them!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I will just save up for struts and shocks for it. by the way if you have the eibach pro kit how do you like it and how is the ride.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Double S
I guess to answer your question the KYB AGXs gc302047 is talking about really arn't adjustable to the extent of the Konis where you can change them for certain road/track situations etc. They are a good strut though.
Not sure what you mean by Koni's can be adjusted for road and track conditions. Here's a simple explaination:

KYB's adjust both compression and rebound with one ****
Koni SA's adjust rebound only while compression stays the same
Konis are a better quality built shock compared to KYB's and KYB won't support the warranty if you use aftermarket springs with them.

Shocks dampen springs. Compression controls unsprung weight. Unsprung weight doesn't change a lot between the same model car. Koni has got the compression setting nailed pretty well. So if you find a good compression setting on the KYB's, what's it's rebound setting? What if it's not a good setting? You'll have to comprimise on rebound or compression, or somewhere in the middle of both.