Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

oops lowered without LCA reloc brackets, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oops lowered without LCA reloc brackets, what now?

I had hotchkis springs and koni shocks installed on my 02 Z28, and only bought a adj panhard bar w/ the setup. I just found out I should have got LCA recloc brackets as well. I had an alignment done on the car after getting the springs, shocks, and phard bar installed.

Do I just buy some reloc brackets and go back to my shop to have them installed, or do I need to get adjustable LCA's and skip the brackets. I was thinking of upgrading the LCA's anyhow as the stock ones are getting old. Hope someone could clear this up. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

why can't they align your car?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Teching In

The brackets will help to realign the angle on your LCA due to the drop in height. You can still get them and put them in. If you get the bolt in brackets you can do it yourself. Its pretty easy. If you do decide to upgrade your LCA's then go adjustable. It will allow you more options if you mod further.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

so are lca or lca brackets neccessary when lowering
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Those Hotchkis springs claim to lower the car only 1". Is that enough to create problems in this situation?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Teching In

whats an LCA??
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

lower control arm
Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pwterz28
so are lca or lca brackets necessary when lowering
Depends on how much you lower the car or how picky you are.
Originally Posted by 500hpZ06
Those Hotchkis springs claim to lower the car only 1". Is that enough to create problems in this situation?
I would doubt an inch would cause any problems with your car. Although any suspension height change would change the geometry of your suspension.
Originally Posted by raljr9
whats an LCA??
Lower Control Arm
Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Launching!

no you dont need them, i have adjustable lca's and i probally didnt even need those after lowering. the brackets arent completly necessary
Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up A few suggestions for you!

Hello
I have a few suggestions for you! I would look into a set of Lower Control Arm Relocation Bracket and a adjustable pan hard bar! The relocation brackets will gain back the traction loss and increase your traction performance that was lost when you lowered the vehicle and can be used with the stock lower control arms or aftermarket non adjustable control arms. And the reason why is suggested a adjustable pan hard bar is when you lower a vehicle it off sets the rear end and the pan hard bar will allow you to readjust the rear into the proper position! Below are a few links to show you what UMI Performance has to offer.
http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=125
http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=124
If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-07-2009, 07:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroFear
I had hotchkis springs and koni shocks installed on my 02 Z28, and only bought a adj panhard bar w/ the setup. I just found out I should have got LCA recloc brackets as well. I had an alignment done on the car after getting the springs, shocks, and phard bar installed.

Do I just buy some reloc brackets and go back to my shop to have them installed, or do I need to get adjustable LCA's and skip the brackets. I was thinking of upgrading the LCA's anyhow as the stock ones are getting old. Hope someone could clear this up. Thanks.
Hello, you do not need adjustable lower control arms. You can use a non adjustable version and it will work fine for your situation. The purpose of the relocation brackets is to correct your lower control arm geometry. The lca's are supposed to be on a slight upward angle from the rearend to the body. When you lower your car it changes the angle. The brackets are not a mandatory item but they will aid you in weight transfer and help you get the most out of your suspension. If you have any questions please give me a call.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guy. that seems to clear things up pretty good.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

You do NOT need LCA's or relo brackets after lowering.

If you like to launch and all of a sudden get a lot of wheel hop, relo brackets can help you adjust your LCA angle which typically has a curing effect on most people.

The angle of LCA's also has an effect on roll steer. Changing the angle of the LCA's due to lowering causes the rear end to point toward the way you turn "ever so slightly" in a high speed turn which isn't a bad thing in my racing situation. It probably keeps my car a bit more stable going around the turns.

It all depends on your application. But in any case nothing the slightest bit bad will happen to you with no relos.