Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 brakes on an F-body, few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question C5 brakes on an F-body, few questions...

I searched already, not too much info on this particular question...

Will the C5 brakes change the fitment of my wheels(ie: as far as backspacing goes)? I'm not sure if the rotors are thicker/thinner. I thought maybe it'd bring my wheels in our out a bit. Any idea?

Also, where is the most reasonable place to get the C5 upgrade kit complete, front/rear/brackets/etc? If you can't post it shoot me a PM, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

This won't change the fitment of your wheels. That part remains stock. It will just change the location of the brake caliper.

UMI and Kore3 both sell complete kits. Out of those two, I like UMI's bracket better.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up C5 Brake Suggestion!

Originally Posted by fast377
This won't change the fitment of your wheels. That part remains stock. It will just change the location of the brake caliper.

UMI and Kore3 both sell complete kits. Out of those two, I like UMI's bracket better.
Hello
Thanks for the recommendation! Yes UMI Performance does offer a complete C5 brake kit! Below is a link to show you what we have to offer.
http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=117
If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask and I will be glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Thanks for the recommendation! Yes UMI Performance does offer a complete C5 brake kit! Below is a link to show you what we have to offer.
http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=117
If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask and I will be glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
PM sent!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are certainly advantages with th c5 but is a kot extra unsprung weight also. IIRC around the tune of 25LBS Somebody will correct me if I am wrong but all things have a price.....
Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
There are certainly advantages with th c5 but is a lot extra unsprung weight also. IIRC around the tune of 25LBS Somebody will correct me if I am wrong but all things have a price.....
I cannot recall if the amount is 25lbs of unsprung weight, however an additional issue would be with how the mass is arranged within the dimensions of the larger rotor.

I used to have a C5 kit and the caliper wasn't much heavier than the F-body one, however most of the weight penalty was dependent more on the bracket design than rotor itself (though the rotor is slighty heavier).

If I can also state that when I did have a C5 kit (and eventually a StopTech big brake kit), I actually noticed an increase in braking distances than with the stock F-body kit as well as my overall course times increasing (not by much but still an overall mean average increase).

Performance wise, I guess there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

If I can also state that when I did have a C5 kit (and eventually a StopTech big brake kit), I actually noticed an increase in braking distances than with the stock F-body kit as well as my overall course times increasing (not by much but still an overall mean average increase).

Performance wise, I guess there's no such thing as a free lunch.
You say your braking was worse after you installed the bigger rotors?