Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Coilovers vs Koni's and Stranos

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coilovers vs Koni's and Stranos

Ok so what are the pros and cons of a full coilover kit from say QA1 vs. my other idea of going with Strano springs and Koni's. Also whats a better option, the 3/4 or 4/4 rears.

My car is pretty much a weekend warrior. Definitely not a DD and it will see a good amount of track.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Two completely different shock/spring combos you're looking at there. QA1's are meant for drag racing. Strano/Koni is a premium spring/shock combo that makes an awesome handling/daily setup.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Two completely different shock/spring combos you're looking at there. QA1's are meant for drag racing. Strano/Koni is a premium spring/shock combo that makes an awesome handling/daily setup.
True. So yeah I am looking for more of a street set up with decent handling.

The strano and koni's are looking like the best choice. No what are the pros and cons of the single vs. double adjustibles?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6
True. So yeah I am looking for more of a street set up with decent handling.

The strano and koni's are looking like the best choice. No what are the pros and cons of the single vs. double adjustibles?
Well.. do your research. Figure out what you want to do with your car in more detail. Personally if your going to the track only once or twice a year and not chasing serious times, I'll always go with strano/koni, but thats just me.

Some people like to run other drag racing oriented shocks and springs too... but I don't know much about those.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Launching!

unless you are a serious racer there are no need for double adjustable, for street driving it is pretty unnecessary
Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Good damping is the biggest key to having a car that drives well. Do you need Koni's? No, but they work the best. QA1's IMO are very poor dampers for any sort of control needs and aren't the longest lasting things.

Options exist. You can run a set of real coil-overs like KW's with better dampers-but as you'd expect they cost more. You can run Koni's and convert them to a coil-over/weight jacker setup which is more than a good set of springs and more complicated (as well as voiding the warranty on the front shocks since you have to modify them). You could run decent lowering springs with something like a KYB AGX or Bilstein's. Ideal? No, but frankly still better than the really pretty poor damping QA1's have.

tavi_ws6 is correct when he says DA's are not necessary. I own a set and do not run them on my car--which is autocrossed. I sell them, and for certain situations we use and recommend them like when someone is using a much heavier rear axle as the compression damping helps control the unsprung weight increase better.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-23-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about Koni coilovers? They rock! You get the spring rate you want, the ride quality you want and the height you want.

You don't have to modify the top hats on the Konis if you don't want to so the warranty should be fine. Or you can mod the hats like I did and just keep them and send the rest of the shock in for warranty reasons.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-23-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Coilovers vs Koni's and Stranos