Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why am I able to over power my rear brakes by hand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why am I able to over power my rear brakes by hand?

Yesterday I had my car up in the air and decided to see if I could turn the rear wheels with the car off and pedal pushed down and sure enough I could! I am by no means a small person 6'4 280 it wasn't easy but not too hard either so I know if I can the car could surely handle that task no problem. My question is Why? And what could be causing this? Could it be caliper fatigue?

A little History on The Car: It is a 1997 with LS1 brakes all around it seems to have this weird issue with the brakes where the pedal is really soft but if you push it down far enough it will put the car in a nose dive so you kinda have to modulate the pedal to prevent this. This all came to light after the new motor was put in, The car sat for 2yrs before and when it was moved around in and out the garage the brakes were used to stop the car, the new motor went in but nothing on the braking system was replaced up until this year. In March/April I replaced the Brake lines, Pads, Rotors and Master cylinder with all new parts and the problem still wasn't resolved. The only thing left would be the calipers or the brake booster.

below is a list of mods that were installed in March/April and have about 7k miles on them.
Powerslot Slotted Front and Rear rotors
Hawks HP Pads front & Rear
Russel Stainless Braided Lines all 5
New GM Hardware
Rebuilt LS1 Front and Rear Calipers
2002 LS1 Master Cylinder

Any Help Or Ideas would be great. I don't want to throw parts at this but really with only two major parts to replace I might go ahead and try it to see what happens.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How much bleeding of the system have you done? Replacing that many parts would require alot of bleeding. If you haven't already I would start by going around all 4 wheels and bleed the hell out of them. Keep an eye on the reservoir dont let it go empty.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

I've bleed the whole system including the ABS and master (Bench bleeding included) about 5 times.

Nothing but clean clear fluid comming out of all the bleeders and it shoots pretty far so I know there isnt a clog in the lines or bleeders.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

But any other Ideas?