Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Choice's

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Choice's

I want to spend some money on suspension upgrades but I can't do it all in one go.

So, option 1: Buy a set of Koni 4/4's for my car
or, option 2: Buy solid 35/22mm sway bars and Bilstein shocks.

The old deCarbons are showing their age so shocks are needed (but are not desparate yet), and I really would prefer Koni's but I also wanted to upgrade the sway bars which is how option 2 came about - as a kind of compromise.
Is it a compromise you would make - or would you buy the Koni's and wait for the sway bars.

Car is a 97 T/A non-WS6. Suspension is stock except for poly sway bar bushings and SFC's.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

what are your plans for the car? If you plan to keep it long term, go for the Koni's. You might decide thats all you need and stop there. If you feel like you want more in the future you will have the best starting point, that can adjust to any other mods you make.

If you think you might get rid of the car at some point save the money and use cheaper shocks.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

The car would get sold in favour of a C6 if I had the money - but I don't so I figure it will be around for a while.
I use the car for only 1500-2000 miles a year fair weather fun driving. I'm not into the 1/4 too much - i prefer the corners.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

do the Koni's. You'll like it.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, 2 is a compromise on both shocks and bars. 1 is a compromise only with the bars (and solid 35/22's are a lot heavier then hollow are. The pricing isn't all that different in the grand scheme of things--and seeing as you are in the UK remember that the extra weight of solid bars will add more shipping making the difference even smaller).

Shocks are the single biggest issue with the car.... I've always said it and always will they matter most. Not that other stuff like bars don't--but the car has damping issues above all else.

If/when you do bars, I'd recommend hollow (which is why I make them), but also sell a solid set as well.... and the Koni's and the Bilstein's too.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards the Koni's and you have convinced me.

Sam - As soon as the bank manager (wife!) releases some money to me I'll get the shocks from you. I take on board what you say about the bars and when I am able to buy them I will likely go for the hollow bars.