Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering feels loose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering feels loose?

I'm guessing its either the tie rods or the steering rack..

but when driving if i go over a groove in the road one of my front wheels literally follows the grove.. and when going down the hwy it feels as if one front wheel or the other randomly drifts off to the side.. and the steering is very sloppy...

what should i check first to save some hassle?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by who281
I'm guessing its either the tie rods or the steering rack..

but when driving if i go over a groove in the road one of my front wheels literally follows the grove.. and when going down the hwy it feels as if one front wheel or the other randomly drifts off to the side.. and the steering is very sloppy...

what should i check first to save some hassle?
What you are describing sounds like tramlining. That's a common phenomenon with wide low profile tires, and depending on the road surface can range from non existent to very annoying.

If you suspect it is in the suspension you need to get the car up in the air and inspect all the bushing and tie rods. You'll be looking for unusual wear or excessive play in any of the linkages.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
What you are describing sounds like tramlining. That's a common phenomenon with wide low profile tires, and depending on the road surface can range from non existent to very annoying.

If you suspect it is in the suspension you need to get the car up in the air and inspect all the bushing and tie rods. You'll be looking for unusual wear or excessive play in any of the linkages.
no my car has always followed the groves because of the wide tires.. but this is like i cant pull out of it like if i hold the steering wheel really tight and completely straight one wheel still veers off.. something def feels wrong haha.. but ill check this weekend
Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Teching In

i have tramlining issues with my 95 T/A (all new suspension and still having the problems) my 97 z/28 was no way near as bad anyone have any thoughts on what it could be? what do you guys set your aliments with the bigger tires combo (I have 17x8)
Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

A pulling tendency is usually caused by incorrect caster in the front end. It could be as simple as your alignment being out of whack. A quick test for the ball joints is to lift the front up and push/pull the top of the tire. If any thing feels sloppy dig a little deeper. If all the components seem to be tight, have your alignment checked.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Theres a rod that comes out of the firewall that has TWO 11 mm nuts on it..make sure to tighten both of them down fairly well....To tighten the first make sure the steering wheel is straight to tighten the bottom one turn the steering slightly to the right exposing the lower nut, which is harder to reach but easily doable..lemme know

Last edited by jattgunman; 01-12-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering feels loose?