Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacement pads and rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement pads and rotors...

My car has 73xxx miles. I don't know when the pads or rotors were last changed. It got cammed right before deploying and breaks were great. My engine surging prior to my tune took a toll on the brakes after my return from Iraq. I'm now noticing a slight decrease in brake performance, lots of brake dust, and some squeeking at lower speed stops.

Do I likely need both pad and rotor replacement? Also, I hear about big brake kits here the most. I was satisfied with my stock brake performance and my tune and converter will take care of the car wanting to push through the brakes. I have 16" wheels for now and might keep atleast the front wheels until they fall off. If you suggest me replacing the pads and rotors, what are some good factory replacements. A slight upgrade over stock is fine for me to look at, as it might help later with brake stalling.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't bother with a big brake kit. Stock calipers/size brakes can still give you good stopping power.

It wouldn't hurt to do both. If you're happy overall with stopping performance, you might be able to check to see if your stock rotors can be cut, and get some new pads. Hawk HPS are great, but I've heard the ceramic Hawk's dust less and still provide a big improvement over stock. I would recommend new rotors, tho, especially if you cant cut your brakes. Strano has some fairly cheap rotors that should work pretty well (ATE's), or Brembo blanks (WS6store.com has them) are great too. If your stock rotors are salvageable tho, make sure to give them a light cut at least to properly bed in the new pads.

Last edited by 99FormulaM6r; 03-02-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks! who can I see about getting them cut, or is this a project I can do on my own?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd have to go to a shop to get them done, as it's very precise work. They can check to see for warping, and have a machine that turns it and cuts the rotor surface. I think a shop around here does it for $9 a rotor.

However, remember that cutting rotors takes away material and makes it more likely to warp in the future. However, it's definitely a cheaper way than buying new rotors.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Replacement pads and rotors...