Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Persistant Suspension Knock!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Persistant Suspension Knock!!

So here's the deal...I'm getting a knock in the front and the rear. The sound is very similiar in nature and only seems to happen when i'm either coming to a stop or apon initial acceleration, so not at high speeds. I rebuilt my rear end recently(twice actually, I assumed I did it incorrectly because of the knock) and it began shortly after the rear end rebuild.

The front has been doing it for a while, I installed new bushings, shocks, springs and ball joints and it's still knocking apon coming to a complete stop. The only thing I could see that might be worn, and not replaced, was the endlinks. Could the endlinks be causing this knock?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could be broken endlinks, but I'd check the torque arm mount on the trans. If the mount is worn out, it will make all kinds of noise.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

I've seen them and they're not broken, just look worn. They're kinda loose, even after I tighten the bolts down all the way.

Haven't checked the torque arm bushing though. The torque arm bolts are tight, i'm sure of it, but it wouldn't hurt to check again...Maybe a bad rack and pinion bushing? If anybody has any info on this bushing let me in on it...cause this is new to me...
Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM
STA
Staging Lane

Is your trans an automatic? I had the same noise coming from mine and it turned out my A4 had a broken transmission mount.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Teching In

So it knocks in the rear when you come to a stop. That happened to me when i bought my moser 12 bolt with the detroit true track. After swaping backing plates and getting it all set (i thought the factory would have torqued to spec... And i'm not bashing just being honest) Every stop because it was not torqued there was some sort of binding/thumping/knock. I had it re-done with Timpkin bearings and also noticed i had cracked the ring and pinon so i replaced with motive 3:73s. After that now it just wines a little bit on the decell. If you take it apart i bet you will find out whats wrong. Mabey just needs to be re-torqued.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

M6...stock rear end...

The rear knocks on initial Accelleration, and the front knocks apon coming to a stop.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Make sure your rear control arms are bolted tight. A friend on mind had a knocking coming from the rear after putting on some lowering springs, we feared it was the rear end or the torque arm. A few good turns on each LCA bolt and it went away. I would go through and check everything, especially the easy stuff.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Yea...I've concidered that but haven't had the opportunity to look at it...I'll check tomorrow...

Now on to the front...I'm gonna replace the endlinks and get back to ya...
Old 05-12-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Hmmm...I'm retarded...it was my transmission mount...