Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering/tire size question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lowering/tire size question...

I wasn't sure if I should go with this section or tires/wheels, but since I'm asking about lowering the car, I decided to make the thread in this one.

Anyway, I have 285/30 tires all around on 18x9.5 rims. As you can see from the pics, there is a lot of wheel gap and not a lot of tire...

I did the math at one point, and with these tires, the overall wheel diameter is a good inch less than it would be if I were running the "correct" size 275/35/18 tire.

This leads me to my question: Will I be able to lower the car 1.25" on the 285/30's and not have speed bumps tear apart my longtubes? My car is driven a lot in the nice weather months, and I would like to lower it. The tires I have are still very new (I got one hell of a good deal on them) and won't need replaced anytime soon, but I want to lower my car ASAP. In order for me to afford struts, springs, panhard bar, and LCA's (not absolutely necessary, but my bushings are shot so I figure I might as well upgrade) I don't see how I can also spend the coin on a brand new set of tires.

So, it is necessary to get tires with a thicker sidewall before I think about lowering?

Last edited by SKZ28; 04-11-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am lowered 1.25 and really have minimal issues.... just hit everything at an angle if you think you might scrape and you will be fine....

I have 9.5" rims with 275/40's so you should be ok just center your rear with an adjustable PHB.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 04-11-2010 at 10:03 PM.