Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help installing front shocks quick!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help installing front shocks quick!

so i bought kyb agx's for a friend's car. its his daily driver not some super track car so i dont want this thread to be about the quality of the shock.

the stock decarbons (orange with black boot) are there.

i can get the lower spring seat off of them no problem.

the problem is i cant get the boots off no matter what i do. this includes the rubber bump stop, plastic boot cover, and the big metal thing its all attached to.

what the hell am i supposed to do? when i did my car years ago they just slid right off. the ****?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm trying to remember the OE set-up....I took my DeCarbons out about 10 years ago...If you got the lower spring seat off, I'll assume that you compressed the spring, got the retaining nut off the top of the shock, and remover the upper spring seat (the big rubber part), right? If you're indeed that far, I think that the parts might simply be rusted in place, and need a little "persuasion".....
Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Teching In

im soaking it in pb blaster right now.

it looks like on top of the boot theres like a collar, about an inch long that the shaft of the shock is through. im trying to remember this from my car but i cant. as far as i remember the boot was flat on top.

edit: thinking about it more it looks like the shaft inside the upper shock mount rusted to the shaft of the shock, and im sure the bump stop metal thing rusted to the shaft too.

i guess i can drill it out and reuse the bump stop but im going to need to get new upper mounts.

Last edited by notsonic; 06-24-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Teching In

ended up cutting the shaft, grinding it flat, put it in a vise, and then twisted it till it broke at the lip and then the bump stop came right off haha.

what a pain in the ***.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by notsonic
ended up cutting the shaft, grinding it flat, put it in a vise, and then twisted it till it broke at the lip and then the bump stop came right off haha.

what a pain in the ***.
That's why we keep driving them, to maintain our ability to be able to put up with ****, go fast, and look good doing it.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I searched and I see notsonic had the same issue I have now. Drive side came off with no issue and now I am stuck with the passenger side and the assembly does not want to come apart. Was able to get the end nut off the strut but the rubber spring perch will not budge. I have pounded on it and now I keep going back and spraying it with some lube to try and get it free. I don't have the money to try and cut anything up.......anyone have a suggestion? Do you think if I took it to a local shop that does strut and springs work they would help me.........so frustrating because the usually tougher driver side went smooth......