Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjustable bump steer kit (spohn)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Adjustable bump steer kit (spohn)

What should I be setting these "tie rods" too? My car is slammed around 2.5" lower in the front than factory I never really noticed any bad bumpsteer but then again my steering rack was shot and had a lot of play in it maybe that was taking away from the feel??? Anyways I just
put in a brand new rack and decided to throw on my spohn bump steer kit at the same time and now when I drive I CAN really feel bump steer!!! Any bump or quick dip and the steering wheel pulls to the direction of what ever wheel is hitting the bump... What should I do? Anyone have this problem or have the Spohn kit to let me know wht I may have done wrong?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone know anything? basically adding a bump steer kit GAVE me bump steer! but then again like i said my old R&P steering was worn and had play so not to sure if that play took away from the feel of bump steer that i MAY have had before install...
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have problems with a Spohn product, try contacting Spohn. They've been really quick to reply to questions for me.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C Murda
anyone know anything? basically adding a bump steer kit GAVE me bump steer! but then again like i said my old R&P steering was worn and had play so not to sure if that play took away from the feel of bump steer that i MAY have had before install...
Although I haven't personall seen the Spohn kit, I have seen "bump steer correction kits" for other cars. It's my understanding that you have to get your car off the ground, bring the wheel to "ride height" using a jack under the control arm, then run the suspension through its full travel, and measure the distance that the wheel moves in and out, as the wheel goes up and down. You then adjust the number of shims between the spindle and tie rod end, run the wheel up and down again, measuring again, and repeat this process until the change of the in and out movement is minimized.

If you can get the wheel to move up and down, without moving in and out, the tie rods are following the same arc of the a-arms, and you have "zero bumpsteer".
Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ ahh thank you now i know what to do... and i just adjusted them kinda in the same manner and so far ive got a HUGE difference much less bump steer... theres still a little in it tho but ive made an appointment to get a full alignmen/adjustment at a legit shop that is good with aftermarket parts and not some fly by flat rate shop that just wants you in and out in an hr...
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Launching!

i would REALLY like to see pics of ur car lol, PM me
Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

^ Yeah for real. 2.5 inch drop has to put you on the deck.

Don't PM pics, post pics.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
^ Yeah for real. 2.5 inch drop has to put you on the deck.

Don't PM pics, post pics.
goood call lol my bad
Old 08-14-2010, 03:38 AM
TECH Addict

It's all good!

Quick Reply: Adjustable bump steer kit (spohn)