Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

OMG WTF.. Ground control /Bilstein... ALL over again... take it back apart now :( ..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OMG WTF.. Ground control /Bilstein... ALL over again... take it back apart now :( ..

I'm probably the idiot here. I installed the ground control sleeve with the adjustment collar straight down on the bilstein shock where the metal ring was. It did look like there wasn't enough meat on the ring to hold up the whole weight of the spring/shock. On my konis on my last car this is how it sat (on the ring)... So a few hours ago I googled bilstein and ground control and searched on this site. I found soooo many pics of people installing the GC on the Bilsteins this same way...

A few mins ago I buttoned up the entire front end on both sides... Just installed the new wheels and was lowering the car down when I hear WHAM ...

I raise it back up and sure enough on the passenger side the sleeve slid right down over the metal ring in the middle of the shock

Now was I supposed to install the spring seat that was on the Bilstein originally? and then put the sleeve on top? I tried that and it looked like it wasn't sitting right when i test fitted it.

I'm pissed... 11:30 and now I have to take everything ALL back apart and put the frikkin spring seats back on the Bilsteins.....aksj

adsljfa;lksdjf;lkadsjlfk;adsjak;ljhngbj'poDJFV'POK LVcxnKLVHJDSIODSIODSIODSIOJF'
Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone run Bilsteins with Ground control? ?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

Well I took apart the driver side, removed the sleeve and inside you can see it's supposed to slide over the ring. I can't do it by hand so I guess when there's weight on the drivers side it will eventually force itself in place
Old 08-16-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You did order their kit for Bilsteins, correct?
Either you ordered the wrong kit, or Ground Control sent you the wrong kit, double check your invoice to make sure.
Good luck!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:58 AM
TECH Resident

I checked the box too lol.. it is the correct kit. Everything is super I just buttoned everything up. It's too late and I'll need to raise the fronts off the bumpstops (lol). I need to sleep...

Oh and the 'noise' I was referring to.. it was the ring on the bilstein slipping inside the sleeve as 'intended'. Hard to describe but inside the sleeve there is a place where the bilstein ring will sit against.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So is it good to go now?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running this combo for years. You need the tap the sleeve down over the shock body to get it to seat well. Once you get the sleeve over the Bilsteins and it fitted it's not going to come off without a PITA.

It sounds like you accomplished this and should be good.

I'm about to go to some strange front coilovers soon.

Quick Reply: OMG WTF.. Ground control /Bilstein... ALL over again... take it back apart now :( ..