Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caliper seals broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper seals broken

So I just bought a 99 z28, and the rotors were warped. So I changed all 4 rotors and pads. During the process I found the front seals were cracked. I priced out that it would be around 65 bucks to rebuild both calipers. But I found some packages for new c5 and c6 calipers on ebay. I dont want to increase the rotor diameter cause I want to keep the stock wheels. So I searched around this forums. Is there any advantage to C6 calipers over c5?
I know c5 calipers fit on the f-body abundment bracket. But does the c6 calipers fit on it?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Yes, they will fit. The base C6 caliper (not the much fancier Z06 caliper) is essentially identical to the F-body caliper except for being a little stronger, having slightly thinner mounting ears (meaning a slightly shorter guide pin bolt is used for mounting the C6 caliper), and having "CORVETTE" cast on it.

Good luck finding new calipers on ebay. I ended up getting my C6 calipers from GM parts direct for about $120/each. IIRC the C5 calipers cost about the same price. I mainly got the C6s for the more attractive Corvette logo, but that's just me. I'm sure there's not too much difference in structure between the C6s and the C5s. Also, if you are thinking about rebuilding, it's not too hard to do as long as you have some compressed air. I rebuilt my rear calipers. It just depends on what you want, how much work you want to do, and how much you want to spend.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

if you wanted stock calipers had a bit of money to spend you could get reman. A1 Cardone front and rear caliper with brackets for about $200 after core charge, paint them, add some CAMARO caliper decals and everything should look great. Plus, why have CORVETTE branded calipers when you own a camaro, they might be a bit stronger but is it really that big of a difference.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Launching!

problem with stuff with core charges is that I am in canada. I ship to the border and pick it up. So I dont want to have to pick it up, go home, install the part, and go back across the border to ship it for a core charge