Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

road race

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default road race

all i just purchased another camaro and where as i went with a drag race set up on my last car id like to make this more a road race/handle type car. its a 98 camaro. what are the major couple things you would suggest to make the car handle better?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shocks, sways, and springs are the big three items. What kind of budget do you have?

For many, Koni's shocks seem out of the question because of the price, but these shocks matched to good sway bars, such as Strano's 35/22 hollow bars or UMI's 35/22 solid bars, will drastically improve your handling. If you want to improve it more and get a nicer look for your car, add in a set of good lowering springs, such as Strano's or BMR's, to further improve your handling.

Those are the major three, other things you can do is upgrade your PHB (or switch to a watts link), LCA's, etc. Also, don't forget about upgrading your braking system at some point (good pads/rotors/lines/fluid make a HUGE difference).
Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97lt1z28
all i just purchased another camaro and where as i went with a drag race set up on my last car id like to make this more a road race/handle type car. its a 98 camaro. what are the major couple things you would suggest to make the car handle better?
Don't get the cart before the horse.

If you really want to road race, then you should find a series that interests you and read the rules.

Some series and classes within a particular series can severly limit what you can and cannot do.

By modifying "will-nilly" you paint yourself into a corner sometimes.

By "handle better" I can only assume your ultimate goal is lower lap times.

No part or modification can yield lower laptimes than a quality instructor and lots of seat time. Those of us who have travelled down this road know that, even in stock trim, a 4th gen F-Body is quite a capable car.

And without knowing what the car is doing, all any one with any real knowledge can do is guess what to do.

So, my suggestion is to make the car run reliably. Invest in engine cooling and decent brakes. Figure out where the car is holding you back and go from there. Subtle changes over time not only helps lap times, but also the bank account.

Last edited by mitchntx; 08-30-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By investing in cooling and brakes, the point I was trying to make was don't modify the car to the point where you have to keep chasing it to keep it running or behaving consistantly.

Making the car a non-factor takes that variable out of the equation and then you can concentrate on the driver mod.

It was a very hard concept for me to grasp that I, as a driver, was leaving whole seconds on the track ... hell for a given turn. But shocks, sways, springs, etc. only got me tenths. That's a HUGE delta.

Focus on driving to get the low hanging fruit. When the car is holding you back, then begin chasing it.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Launching!

good call mitchntx i really should read into some classes first. maybe i will just start with a nice pair or tires and a set of shocks that will sit well with the stock springs. I am not a bad driver but a far cry from a "good" one. so to turn this thread on its head what do you all suggest for a aftermarket shock and stock springs? I think i can get the tires figured out on my own.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

do you plan on road RACING......as in getting a license, stripping/gutting/caging the car and making it nothing more then a race car.......or are you talking autoxing/track days. both are different in terms of what level to prep the car and how much you want to spend. when you say 'road race', the so called 'experts' here immediately think youre going into CMC or AI and nothing else.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you could probably get a decent handling fbody with just bilstein hd shocks and a stiffer front sway bar. summer tires are a good start. i love r compound tires, but they do steal learning experiences from you.

then just drive the hell out of it, do some auto x and you will know what you want to put on the car.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

I've been road racing my WS6 for a while now and the best thing I can suggest right of the bat is tires tires tires! A good set of tires will eventually allow you the "feel" the inherent suspension problems these f-bodies have when you try to make them turn. That being said right now I'm running Strano springs and sway bars with Koni 4/3 shocks and struts. I also have a set of Sam's offset upper control arm bushings for little bit more camber and all my rear suspension is heim jointed. Haven't gotten into replacing the front suspension A arms.... yet. This setup had given me a very easy car to push to the limit with Toyo RA1 tires. The biggest thing is getting seat time so you can get n idea of what "style" of driver you are. I.E. Are you a slow in, fast out type of driver or do you like to kick the tail out in a very european style of fast in, fast out.

So after tires the second thing I need to stress is seat time. Then you'll have an idea of what to change to get the car to compliment your style of driving.