Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Iron block + turbo, front height?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Iron block + turbo, front height?

I'm busy building a front mount turbo setup on a 5.3 iron block. My front suspension consists of Strano springs, Koni SA shocks, and Strano 35mm sway bar. Its already pretty damn low on the top perch. Should I be looking at putting the stock front springs back on when I'm adding all of this weight? I figure about 100lbs extra since I removed the A/C. I don't want the front to be slammed and not be able to get over any speed bumps.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

It'll sit a little lower due to more weight. You can run shims/spacers to get it back up. Stock springs will also sit lower than stock (for the same reason). Running stock springs might look ok, but you will also have a lower rate spring which means less wheel rate (more roll and pitch)...

If you are ok with the way the stock springs drive, that might be your easiest solution. None of the lowering springs are of course build off cars with truck blocks and turbo's so this issue will exist with any spring. Other option is to convert to a coil-over and run a race spring. That will void the Koni warranty, but allows you the spring rate you want and to adjust the to height you want.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Sam, what would I use for spacers? I like the setup now but I don't want to be too extremely low. This is a just in case plan if it sits too low. I may try to relocate the battery to the trunk to mitigate some of the extra front weight.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Certainly moving the battery to the truck would help, anything that can take some weight off the nose will.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Iron block + turbo, front height?