Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

the car doesnt feel like one solid piece anymore,,where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question the car doesnt feel like one solid piece anymore,,where to start?

I have a 2000 camaro ss,,every damn noise you will imagine will be heard whenever you go over speed bump, bad road, what so ever and and shaky at some points as well.

I did my research but that got me more confused

the goal is: get rid of all the noises and feel the car like one solid piece with no shaking what so ever.

here is what I come up with and thinking to do..please give me your opinion and tell me if im going in the right direction

1. get a new set of shocks and lowering springs (cant figure out which one to go with really).

2.what rubber bushings do i need to change to reduce noises and shakes,,and can I buy them as a set?

3.also is there something im missing that need to be checked,,or may need to be replaced to help solve the problem?

Last edited by KSA SS; 09-21-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Subframe connectors do a great job controlling the creaks and rattles you are hearing although it sounds like you also have some worn suspension components. How many miles are on the car and what has already been replaced?

You mentioned that you were in the market for springs and shocks so I thought I would mention the special we have going right now. Buy a set of Koni SA's and get a free pair of BMR 1.25" lowering springs. This is good to all LS1 Tech members until the end of the month.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure your car has a stock suspension? It almost sounds like you have lowering springs on the car already with stock shocks!

If you're trying to make the car ride better and feel more connected, shocks are the #1 thing to check. Are you replacing the springs because you think it will ride better than stock? Or do you actually want to lower the car? You can get by on stock springs with nice shocks and really improve the ride of your car now. However, if you do want to lower your car, realize that you ride is going to be more firm because of higher spring rates, but many people report that good shocks + good springs do feel more comfortable than bad shocks + stock springs.

If you were just looking to improve ride, the SLP Bilsteins or Bilstein HD's with stock springs would really improve the ride and handling of your car, where as if you were lowering I would suggest Koni SA shocks and either Strano or BMR springs. Or, you can use the stock springs with the Koni SA's and lower them slightly (about .75"/.5" F/R) without hurting ride quality.

As far as rubber bushings, I don't know if they are available as a set. I'm not quite sure what's the norm to replace in the front, but your PHB (which, if you lower, you should get a new adjustable one) and LCA bushings in the rear could probably be replaced with some new rubber ones to help with the control and noise/vibration in the car.

I would start with the shocks/springs (if need be) first, maybe look through your rear suspension and make sure everything is tight, and look at bushing wear. It should make a big difference, and this way you can see what things you need/don't.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Two issues. One is the body structure. The other is that poor dampers allow a lot more impact through to the body to make it quiver and shake.

Many feel SFC's are the place to start. You can, and they will tighten the chassis up but the fact remains that poor shocks let bumps keep on hammering the chassis. Frankly, most folks are blown away by the improvement in impact harshness when they install shocks. In fact most who put shocks on first, then SFC's notice that the SFC's don't make nearly as much difference as those that do it the other way around--showing that the better damping sucks up the hard hits so much better before they get to the body that the stiffer body/chassis isn't noticed as much.

If you want the best ride then you want to stay on stock springs and run really good shocks. Lowering springs are both stiffer and shorter (less travel) and neither of those things are ideal for ride quality. 99FormulaM6r is correct when he said that good lowering springs and good shocks ride better than stock springs on crappy shocks. But the fact remains that the lowering springs stiffen the wheel rate, and that makes the car ride more firmly. Note that there is a difference between "firm" and "harsh". Stock shocks, and worn out shocks ride very harshly even while not being very well controlled or "firm".

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: the car doesnt feel like one solid piece anymore,,where to start?