Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing BMR springs/panhard tomorrow, Any Tips/ Advice/ Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installing BMR springs/panhard tomorrow, Any Tips/ Advice/ Suggestions??

Just like the title says, I'm getting ready to install my lowering springs and panhard rod. The panhard rod install seems pretty straight forward, and i've already worked with the rear springs, so i'm really just asking about the front.

So far, the only install guide i've found for the front springs is: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6 -Outside of this write-up, is there anything tips/advice you can give me about the install, or any other good write-ups you know about?

oh and, odd question, but which springs are taller? front or rear, they're not labeled and i didn't get any instructions in the box. i'm sure i'll be able to find this out once i compare them to what's on the car, just figured i'd ask now.

thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 08:49 AM
TECH Veteran

nothing?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If memory serves me correct for my stranos the rears were taller and narrower. i can check when i get home if you get no other responses. As far as the install guide i never found a decent one. Blue knight did a neat lil video on the install although not incredibly detailed. The only warning i have is the upper shock nut. Some are bad some arent.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:37 AM
TECH Veteran

thanks for the response.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What finalized your decision on the BMR's vs other springs?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

price. I was going to go with either strano or BMR, they both sound to be excellent choices, never heard any real negatives of either, and their drops were fairly similar. outside of those two choices, i didn't see enough reviews of any other brands in particular to sway me toward any thing else.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Jack rear end up use jack stands under the front control arm mounts, loosen the 3/4 nuts on teh rear shock lower the jack that should be under the pumkin. When you reach a certian point in lowering the rear the the lower shock blot will push out of the rear end. Then lower the rear a little bit more the springs will pretty much fall out. Install the new ones and reverse directions. Make sure you center the springs on the nipple on the body up inside the hole.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

rear springs and panhard were a breeze, as i expected. the front went without any issues as well, although I had a bit of trouble with the spring compressors, so i'm just gonna take the front spring/strut assemblies to pepboys in th morning to have them compress/remove the old springs and add the new ones. I already have everything pulled apart, so once i get the springs done i can come back home and put the front end back together and be done.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some good profile pics once install is completed plz.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

install is done, i'll get some pics today or tomorrow. I'm hoping the rear drops more, since it didn't drop the full 1.25 back there, although it still looks good. The front is perfect though.

---------------Original Height---------Lowered Height----Drop

Driv. Fro-------28"--------------------26 3/4"------------1.25" exactly as BMR stated
Pass. Fro------28"--------------------26 3/4"------------1.25" exactly as BMR stated

Dri. Rear-------28"--------------------27 1/4"------------3/4" needs to go another 1/2"
Pass. Rear-----28 1/4"----------------27 1/2" ------------3/4" needs to go another 1/2"
--->the pass. rear sat higher than everywhere else before and after... i'm not sure why. wonder if it has anything to do with the weight from all that spare tire/jack stuff having been removed??

my rear was sooo off-centered after putting the springs on. But it was really easy to adjust the panhard to get everything perfectly centered.

the front swap kind of sucked. the top bolt/nut of the original front struts were completely rusted and could not be reused, and the top strut mounts were also REALLY worn down, so all of that was also replaced. so it took longer and more money than i felt like giving.

After taking it out for the first drive i'm really happy with everything. nice ride, handles good, and the stance looks much better.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 09-27-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Some good profile pics once install is completed plz.
i took a good profile picture before, and i'm going to take another "after" shot in the exact same place with the camera at the exact same height, so you can really see the difference.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=crimson_bird;13918438
my rear was sooo off-centered after putting the springs on. But it was really easy to adjust the panhard to get everything perfectly centered.

[/QUOTE]

I'm getting a PHB and LCAs and I'm just wondering what you're using as a centering point?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is fairly odd since tomorrow im going to do the exact same install
:O
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any pictures of the drop?
or your not done yet?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

He posted some pictures on another thread so hopefully he will post them here also.....
Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Veteran

sorry guys, i completely forgot about this thread. I'm loving the drop and the ride. getting my KYB adj's for the front in the next week or so.

I still need a good side profile shot, but these show the stance pretty good.

Originally Posted by NycS2
I'm getting a PHB and LCAs and I'm just wondering what you're using as a centering point?
i got some string. and tied one end to a bolt as a weight. with the weight hanging to the ground, i taped the string to the quarter panel, directly in the center of the rims, on both sides of the car. then i just measured from the wheel well to that string, and adjusted the ph bar until both sides were even.

before:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/4839355570/

after:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/5036482769/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/5051824503/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/5053024265/

profile shot. i'd like for the rear to drop lower, but its okay i guess. I'm going to be getting 19's in the rear so that'll fill it a tad more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/5130429561/

Last edited by crimson_bird; 11-01-2010 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing BMR springs/panhard tomorrow, Any Tips/ Advice/ Suggestions??