Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1 instal questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QA1 instal questions

I just recently bought some adjustable QA1 front and rear coilovers. I am new to all the suspension stuff and Im looking for a detailed installation guide so i install them correctly. Any info will be appreciated Thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Teching In

I am wondering about the rear QA1 as well. How is the install and whats good setting for street? drag?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 AM

The rear coilover kit is a pain in the *** to install. I just had front and rear coilovers installed last week.

The shop I went to quoted me $110 for the rears (they thought it would only take a bit over an hour) but they ended up spending a good 5 or 6 hours on it trying to weld the support plates in. It's super tight up there.

Unless you're a skilled welder and have the time and tools to clean around the weld area (paint and insulation) I would take it to a shop.

REARS
Good settings (single adjustable shocks):
- street: 6
- drag: maybe 1 or 2 for the most weight transfer

I had them all set to 0 and worked my way up, 0 all around makes it ride like a Cadillac, super soft and springy like you're on a boat. When I dialed the rears up to 8 it was too stiff for the springs and I got a lot of small bounces. 6 is really good for the rears, no more rough bounces over road irregularities but still stiff enough to not squat too bad when you floor it.

FRONTS
I haven't played around with the fronts too much because after I set them to 12c/12r all around (I have double adjustable fronts) I haven't had any problems with them. I'm going to be playing around with the settings tomorrow since I've got the day off and I'll get back to you guys.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Das Nic
REARS
Good settings (single adjustable shocks):
- drag: maybe 1 or 2 for the most weight transfer
That is wrong.

For drag you want the front soft and the rear stiff. Race cars don't squat.

You want front soft so the front end will come up and transfer weight to the rear. You want the rear stiff so the force is pushing down and planting the rear end and not wasting energy compressing the spring/shock and squatting down.

Quick Reply: QA1 instal questions