Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Crazy annoying wheel/brake squeek.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy annoying wheel/brake squeek.

This has been going on for far too long than I care to admit. First it was just the pass side rear wheel that would squeak. The squeak goes in rotation with the wheel. If I apply the brakes the squeak will stop. Now it is really apparent on the driver side rear wheel. If I am driving next to a curb or pass a car I can hear it. Its a constant squeak consistent with the rotation of the wheel. I replaced my rotors and pads about a year ago and that didnt solve it. Some days it seems like its not there at all and some days it seems like my wheel is going to fall off. I am thinking it could be my emergency brake. The squeak immediately goes away as soon as I apply the brakes.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmartin8
This has been going on for far too long than I care to admit. First it was just the pass side rear wheel that would squeak. The squeak goes in rotation with the wheel. If I apply the brakes the squeak will stop. Now it is really apparent on the driver side rear wheel. If I am driving next to a curb or pass a car I can hear it. Its a constant squeak consistent with the rotation of the wheel. I replaced my rotors and pads about a year ago and that didnt solve it. Some days it seems like its not there at all and some days it seems like my wheel is going to fall off. I am thinking it could be my emergency brake. The squeak immediately goes away as soon as I apply the brakes.
Based on what you've done so far, you may want to look at the abutment clips (caliper hardware) and guide pins next. Old abutment clips let the pads rattle just enough to cause a harmonic squeal. They are cheap and pretty easy to replace - be sure to lube them with a ceramic based grease when you put the new ones in.

Quick Reply: Crazy annoying wheel/brake squeek.