Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can't remove front torque arm bolts / bushing bracket!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't remove front torque arm bolts / bushing bracket!

WTF. The manual is telling me all I have to do to remove the torque arm is remove the two rear bolts, then remove the front 3 bolts holding the torque arm and the bracket/bushing to the transmission. But I can't get 2 of the bolts out of the transmission, they are way to long to pull out! One of the bolts is a part of the bracket itself, so it pulls out with the bracket. The other bolt is the top bolt and is just way to long, it hits the underbelly of the car before I even see threads. I got the actual torque arm out by removing the rear bolts and yanking the **** out of the bushing, but I need the bolts and bushing removed as well.

How the hell are you supposed to remove them?
Old 08-09-2011, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

try putting a jack under the tranny and remove the crossmember and lower the tranny down that should give you more room to get it out.Good Luck.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Awesome yeah that should work... stupid manual, it's impossible to get the damn bolts out without lowering the trans.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What kind of torque arm? If it is just a stock torque arm then you just need to loosen/remove the top bolt of the torque arm mount. After that just loosen the two bolts holding the torque arm to the rear end. This should allow you to remove the torque arm, if it seems to be in a bind you may want to put a jack under the rear end and lift it up a bit and slide it out.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

its just the stock torque arm. the front of the torque arm where the bushing and bracket mounts to the transmission WILL NOT clear the floor boards of the car. No matter what I do. I try to pull the bolts out and they just hit the floor boards, still inside the bracket not even close to coming out.

I pulled the actual torque arm out of the bushing, but I need the bracket off the car because I'm putting the aftermarket tubular one on with a different bushing.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by iWon
its just the stock torque arm. the front of the torque arm where the bushing and bracket mounts to the transmission WILL NOT clear the floor boards of the car. No matter what I do. I try to pull the bolts out and they just hit the floor boards, still inside the bracket not even close to coming out.

I pulled the actual torque arm out of the bushing, but I need the bracket off the car because I'm putting the aftermarket tubular one on with a different bushing.
Remove the torque arm first them remove the factory clamshell torque arm mount. Like other people have said you may need to lower the transmission to get the mount off but the torque arm itself should come out easily.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

Yeah the torque arm is out. I DEFINITELY need to lower that trans to get the bracket and bolts out.

Quick Reply: Can't remove front torque arm bolts / bushing bracket!