Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP sfc fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP sfc fit

I was helping a friend install a set of slp bolt-on sfcs yesterday on his WS6 TA.

The driver side went on but it wasn't easy. The passenger side bolt holes are off. We enlogated the tunnel brace bolt holes a little and got those bolts started but the front holes are still way off.

It has us a little concerned. I have put two sets of these on before with no problem at all. I'm curious if anyone else had fitment issues. He bought the car used and we're beginning to wonder if maybe it had been hit.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had some trouble getting mine on, the tunnel brace holes were a bit off, just needed a bit of drilling and it was fine. WOuldnt worry about it TOO much unless there are other signs.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW your car looks GREAT. Its hard to believe that its a 98. for you!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

My first set would not fit. The smaller triangle bars were noticably out of alignment. I called and they told me that I was the first to ever have a problem with them. Whatever. (My car has never been wrecked/had any body work). After many phone calls, they finally sent me a new set. I had to use a die grinder to elongate the holes so everything would line up. Of the four things I own that are SLP, I have had quality AND delivery issues with three of them. Lesson learned. My hard earned money is now spent elsewhere.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Launching!

No problems with mine,fit great....
Old 03-12-2004, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

I had mine installed and they went on perfectly without any problems.

Think about it, the reason you put on sfc is because of torque twisting the body right...possibly having problems because the body is already twisted???
Old 03-12-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

probably already twisted somewhat.. I had a set installed on my '00 WS6 and they fit perfectly. Sold them to a friend w/ a 97 t/a. had to elongate the passsenger side LCA bolthole, bend his lca brackets on the frame back square, and still had to fight to get that side on straight.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:01 PM
Launching!

I suppose his car could be twisted a little. The funny thing is, I put a set on my last 98 Z with 90k miles on it and they went on perfect. His 97 ws6 only has 35k on it. Those LT1's must really make some torque
Old 03-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Launching!

SLP makes 'em in a jig. GM didn't concern themselves w/whether the particular holes were 2/3 of an inch either way. Add it up and 2/3 inch error in any direction for several holes makes for some real differences not noticable when inspecting the bottom of the car at the factory.

Elongate the SFC holes to match the existing ones on the car when the car's weight is sitting on the suspension. That is the extremely important key for properly fitting the SFC.
SD

Last edited by steve-d; 08-08-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

steve-d,

Elongating the holes would not have helped on my first set. There was no way the sfc's could be installed withut the help of a torch & a vise, as the angle of the small square tubes going to the g-load brace were visably not the correct angle.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WOOS1
My first set would not fit. The smaller triangle bars were noticably out of alignment.

I had to use a die grinder to elongate the holes so everything would line up. Of the four things I own that are SLP, I have had quality AND delivery issues with three of them. Lesson learned. My hard earned money is now spent elsewhere.
Same issues with the SLP SFC here on my 2002 w/ only 5k miles on it. In addition I had to grind off a large portion of my rear LCA mounts (both sides) to make them fit!

Also, same experience with SLP in general with other purchases. They have great ideas but poor business execution....I agree LESSON LEARN! HOOAH!
Old 08-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Teching In

I had planned to order a set of these today. Anyone have any other bolt ons to recommend?
Old 08-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Launching!

In spite of some of the comments in this thread, I think SLP still makes the best bolt-on SFC's. I would buy another set.

Spectacle solutions makes a knock off of these but the last time I checked they build to order so it takes weeks to get them.

I would bet a few of the sponsors have SLP's ready to ship. I would just go with the SLPs.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by touchngo
I had planned to order a set of these today. Anyone have any other bolt ons to recommend?
First, please understand where I'm coming from: I have a master's degree in Mechanical Engineering and am very obsessive about quality. I also can't tollerate "half-assed" work. "Any job worth doing, is worth doing well" is my moto. With that said read on if you want:

Well, as for the bolt-ons, I might have to agree that SLP is the choice, b/c they are few and far between. However, I have seen, (not actually installed or touched) the Don Goetz Fabrications bolt-on SFC, and the design is superior to SLP's in my opinion. And I have HEARD good things about them.

What makes them superior, in my opinion, is the fact that, like the BRM's weld-on box version, the portion of the SFC that connects to the Lower Control Arm is U-shaped, enclosing the LCA mount. The LCA bolts pass thru both sides of the SFC's U mount. In my opinion, this is a better design for a bolt-on product. The SLP's LCA mount is only a single plate.

I dont know if DG Fab is still around though. I tried to find a presence on the web, but to no avail. So if you can find the DG Fabrication's SFC, you should consider them.

If you have a 2002 like mine, you'll have to do one of 3 things: modify the SFC, make a custom spacer, or grind on your car. My F-Body has 5k miles on it, and is showroom new in all aspects. I didn't want to touch the vehicle in anyway that was not reversible, so I modified the SFC. Alot of cut and try!

Hopefully SLP will incorporate a spacer in the hardware kit for 2002 models like mine.

Oh one more thing, about the hardware kit with the SLP.....
The bolts are crap, go to your local hardware store and buy some grade 8 bolts, my kit came with grade 5, and were like jello ( this really bugs me b/c you pay big bucks for this kit, the least they could do is spring for the $3.00 for nice bolts).
Furthermore, the holes in the LCA must be larger on my 2002, because the threaded square, from the kit which is slipped into the LCA is too small and wants to drop out! I'm pretty sure it will over time. I need to have a bigger one may or get some big washers. Would it hurt to make the square 0.25 inches larger?

My advise: All this said, unless I could find a DGF SFC, I would buy the SLP version and deal with the problems or get a weld-on, which for me really was not a consideration. If you go weld-on there are tons of options, one is very cool, it incorporates a true X-Frame into a more standard BMR type design....cant remember the name. If you want I'll find it just drop me an line.

Old 08-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Teching In

thanks, I'll probably go with these because of the limited selection of bolt ons and make them work. With low miles on my car, I'm not ready to start welding on it.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by touchngo
thanks, I'll probably go with these because of the limited selection of bolt ons and make them work. With low miles on my car, I'm not ready to start welding on it.
Hi,
I found the DG Fabrications email address for you, it might be worth droping them a line: DGOETZ3@cinci.rr.com

I am actually considering getting the DG.

What year is your F-Body?
And, I agree with you, it would be tough to weld on my baby too...... After all I massage wax into the paint with my bare hand....LOL I have a special relationship with my 'camaro........
Old 08-09-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I welded SLP sfc's on my 2002 with less than 2,500 miles on it. It was 2 months old. They didn't line up on my car. It's not SLP's fault, GM's tolerances seem to be the issue 99% of the time. (not that SLP is perfect).
Old 08-09-2004, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

I found out the sequence of install made a big difference, but when in place the holes lined up perfectly
Old 08-09-2004, 07:43 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

I got my weld ins today. (recieved the shipping that is)

After I had placed the order, I was talking to an SLP rep and I mentioned what I was planning, and he said I should not weld them in, I should bolt them in.

Well, it's the same thing, just without the hardware and instructions. I figured it was no big deal. "How hard could it be?" sort of thing.

I also remember someone saying they shipped the bolt ins with grade 5 hardware, and he went and got grade 8 hardware for his. So I was even less worried about not getting the hardware from SLP, figuring I'd be replacing it anyway.

So I get home from work, look at the hole sizes, change, run out to Pep Boys to get some undercoat to spray them with, and hit Lowes for some hardware.

I get back and start jacking. I was starting to regret it before I got the first ramp under the wheel. (had to jack it on to it because there is no way to drive it up without ripping the body up)

Once I had it up on ramps and the axle on jack stands, I got under it and took the tunnel brace off. Pulled in the side stamped D for a test fit, and it seemed to line up in the back and the tunnel brace, but I couldn't see where to bolt it in the back, and the front plate was on an angle.

I gave up after seeing that. It was like it wasn't even for my car. I checked and double checked that I didn't have it facing the wrong way.

I put the brace back on and let the car down. I now have to call SLP tomorrow and start looking for some place to do the install for me. Which won't be easy because so few places have wheel supporting lifts.

Quick Reply: SLP sfc fit