Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do the LT1 cars sit lower in the front?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do the LT1 cars sit lower in the front?

I've been doing a lot of research here lately on what to buy for my suspension overhaul and while browsing I've noticed the LT1 cars seem to sit lower in the front?

Am I crazy or is this due to the LT1 engine being heavier than the LS1? The slight difference in front fenders might be playing a part here too, not sure.

I've already bought Koni 4/4's and have also decided on Strano springs. Stance is important to me and I just might pull the trigger on some BMR lowering a-arms to slam the car in the front. Fugg ground clearence! lol
Old 10-27-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the front springs on my 93 were cut...til I took them off and saw otherwise. The 2" Intrax springs I put on lowered the front almost 3" to where I had to get two pairs of spacers to raise it up
Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LT1 cars sit lower front and rear than the LS1 cars.

Has nothing to do with weight and the rates are the same. The LS1 is what, ~70 lbs lighter than an LT1? That would amount to a difference of about 1/8" in the front with the factory spring rates.

For whatever reason, GM simply increased the free height of the springs (and therefore the ride height) on the LS1 cars. Presumably this was to make the cars a bit more "user friendly" and allow for easier ingress / egress. Maybe they were also trying to improve the ride a bit. Who knows?

I actually gave my stock LT1 rears to an LS1 friend when he didn't really want to lower the car or go to stiffer springs but he did want to close up some of that wheel gap in the fender.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ok, I had no idea. Thanks for clearing that up!