Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me out fellas with my suspension ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out fellas with my suspension ideas...

Alright fellas, I have been researching available options for lowering my car since August. I understand pretty well the issues with lowering Fbody's. I understand there are a lot of opinions.

Here is what my goals are: Good stance on 17" c4 ZR1 wheels, decent ride quality(I understand this is a sacrifice anytime you lower), cost efficiency. Car is a DD and will see no racing, but performance is still the goal if achievable at the same time.

I currently plan on replacing the PHB and getting alignment along with future LCA's

My dilemma is spring selection.

Strano Springs sound ideal for ride quality, but the stance doesn't do it for me. If I went with a larger wheel, it would work but I can't afford that right now.

G2, hypercoil, LG springs all are options I like the looks of when seen on yalls rides. I can't find them for purchase.

Intrax seems to harsh, and the drop seems inconsistent. Suspension techniques from summit have interesting drop stats. Not much press about them.

BMR seems to be just like strano, and H&R for some reason people sometimes like or feel they are too harsh(hard to know if car is setup right:shocks...)

Eibach pro kits seem to be reputable here, stance is decent; but obviously I like the looks of the sportlines better.(only scared to purchase due to horrible reviews)

Cutting springs seems to be a generally banned idea, yet you find success stories that are scared to declare success. Not sure why (fear or ignorance of quality lowered cars). Certainly an option financially, with ability to replace if all is a failure.

I understand that shocks (konis) make a world of difference. I don't have the cash to buy them. Where is the happy medium here, You don't want a spring that allows your car to bottom out at new height, but you need a shock to dampen it or it will still ride like crap. Obvious conclusion, buy a really good set of springs and shocks to have a lowered Fbody ride good with a good stance.

My dilemma is I can't afford that, but still want what I want. Is this a case of where there is will there is a way, or has the suspension nature of the 4th gen. Fbody established this as an impossibitilty in conjunction with my budget?

I know there are lots of opinions. Opinions are good. Lets keep this constructive. I can see myself going down this road purchasing 6 setups before I find what I want. I would like to avoid that, but then again that's part of the fun and $ misery.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch the classifieds and doing the work yourself can save lots of money

Intrax 2" (closer to 3" in the front) springs for $80, Bilsteins off a low mileage SS $50, gently used upper spring mounts for $35 and I rented a spring compressor for free and did the JasonWW mount mod myself... even with an alignment, Im still under $200 for my suspension
Old 10-31-2011, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

We offer a variety of suspension parts to bring your car to the level you want it and I can suggest a good set of parts according to your budget. We're currently offering free springs with a set of Koni shocks if you order them through us.

Feel free to give me a call here at the shop 813-986-9302, ask for Kevin.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Also, our springs are backed by a lifetime warranty against defects or spring sag so you can be confident they will retain their shape and performance for the life of the car.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Thats why i am running there spring 1.2 inch drop
Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

VIN R1, I like your stance a lot! I have seen your car in other threads. I have a few questions for ya.

1. How is the ride quality? Little worse than stock or really different?
2. bottom out alot?
3. Upper Spring Mounts? What are you achieving here? I have only heard of these in a few autox threads?
4. You don't mention a PHB? How is your rear end centered?
5. Do you have the 17x11 wheels in the back? Did you have to roll the fenders?

Ok so that is a lot more than a few... I will be doing all the work myself as many peoples advice and experience point to the fact it is better for you to learn the hard way than pay someone to learn the hard way and charge you for their mistake and to get it right.

Last edited by Greatwhitet/a; 10-31-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Didn't address member to reference message
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

1) I'd say better than stock - spring rates are similar to factory springs and Im using better shocks
2) Rarely, in fact, I cant recall the last time I bottomed out... if you do your homework and know the road you'll be traveling, bottoming out isnt an issue. My rear bumpstops are removed and Im using some home made nylon bumpstops on the shocks similar to koni's
3) in the front, everyone has upper spring/shock mounts. Mine were rusted solid to the shock and since they needed replacing, I included the cost. Search for the JasonWW upper shock mod
4) yes, Im using an adjustable Founders PHB shipped for $80 - I bought it long before I lowered the car on impulse so didnt add it in
5) yes, 17x11 but mine are 36mm offset so they stick out a half inch or so more than the 50mm (more popular) versions. The trade off is my fenders absolutely had to be rolled but I havent had to hammer the inner fenders whatsoever. The member that rents the fender roller quoted me a much higher price than he advertises (why? ...I dunno) so I found a friend to do it

Should also mention I just switched to BFG KDs in the rear which are 2" wider than the Sumitomos they replaced and I have very minor rubbing on the drivers quarter panel when entering steep driveways but I believe a spin or two in on the PHB should easily fix it

Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by pillarpod
^^^Thats why i am running there spring 1.2 inch drop

Glad you're enjoying them!

Here are our springs on a 17-inch wheel!
Attached Thumbnails Help me out fellas with my suspension ideas...-springs-3.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Viner1, does the rear bumpstop delete work like the front shock mount mod? Where did u get the shock bump stops?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not quite. I discovered the rear shocks will bottom out before the axle hits the subframe... so I found some hard rubber generic bumpstops that came with slapper bars I bought for my truck. I drilled a 3/8" hole and cut a slit and they slipped right over my rear shock shafts. I then made some 1/4" plexiglas discs at work and used them as spacers. Dont have pics but it does the job

Quick Reply: Help me out fellas with my suspension ideas...