Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Money Spending/Credit Card Limiting Time....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Money Spending/Credit Card Limiting Time....

It's time to get my suspension done and I have questions galore. But luckily for me I have ls1trch and Google at my finger tips. Anyways, I'm building my car for the road courses. I know I want strano springs and bilstein shocks. But I'm wondering what you guys think. I drive this car everyday and will continue to do so for a few more months. That being said, I'm not one to care about comforts and such. So what are some recommendations on a true road racing suspension? I don't care how stiff and uncomfortable the ride on the street may be. I just want handling. Nothing more, nothing less. Any suggestions or will the strano spring/bilstein shock combo give me what I want? I will of course be adding sfcs, sway bars, torque arm relocation, etc etc etc. But can someone give me their opinion on a stiff, solid suspension setup.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mississippi. Start with 3-point subframe connectors and then use rod-ends anywhere you can. We routinely try to mix and match end styles to help with some degree of comfort but occasionally like when customers build total corner-burners.

If you're using Strano springs, you should call him and get his recommendation and make sure you know what tires you plan on using and what road courses you're going to run.

Good luck on your project.

ramey
Old 11-08-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you want the Bilstein shocks as opposed to Koni shocks?

I ask because you say want a "road race" suspension and don't care about creature comforts. Bilstein's may ride marginally better but they aren't superior for racing.

If it is budget, then why are you planning to flush money on SFCs and a torque arm relocation?

Start with the basics first. Tires, shocks, sways and springs. Then go from there. The tires and shocks alone will make a huge difference.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Koni shocks are just extremely expensive. I know they are the best, but I also know the bilsteins will do the job until I can afford the Konis. I mean I could get the strano/Koni set up now, but that takes out of the budget for other things such as gears and etc etc. I want sfcs and torque arm relocation as a means of "tightening" the car up. I'm also doing solid motor mounts and a poly trans mount. I want the car to be stiff as a board. I love that crisp racecar feel. Most like air conditioner and heated leather seats. I like g forces and the sounds of the car under me. Plus it seems to me that sfcs would be a great handling mod. The torque arm thing, not so much. But I'm sick of the ole t56 bouncing around. Tires are a huge improvement I know from experience. I came from nexxen n3000s to the slightly above average falkens o have now. Huge improvement.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Honestly, you guys look at things all wrong. I look at the proposed list of parts and see a lot of things that aren't necessarily needed to make the car handle, and that money can be put to better shocks. And shocks matter, HUGE. They are, the single most critical part of the car if you want a car that is secure, tied down, and responsive.

Basically what HAZ-Matt said rings very true. Seriously. This is like trying to make good power with ancillary things like pulleys and a tune when what you really want is a strong head/cam package as a base. Sure those other things can help, but you don't need a TA to make the car handle, it's not a handling part, as an example.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Launching!

So Konis it is.... Damn that's some cash. Oh well. Strano/Koni setup with some good tires (TBD) will get me the handling I want. But guys just so you know, I drive a Vert so anywhere I can make my chassis stiffer is critical to me. But obviously the springs/shocks will be the biggest difference.

Quick Reply: Money Spending/Credit Card Limiting Time....