Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

auto cross

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto cross

in the near future i would like to set up my 02 ss for auto cross...what brand of suspension parts would you recommend and what parts should i start out with buying first??
Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Don't think they do it anymore, but Rancho is where I got mine for my 80 TTA. But be advised, the 900 lb/in front bar I have (still have!) still SERIOUSLY strong, enough I fought stripping out the bolts in the frame. I had to put in starter bolts with spacers and nuts in the frame to make it solid. The little strap clamps didn't hold either, I had to use OEM bar to frame brackets.

My bars are adjustable, they can vary from 500-900 lb/in. STIFF is an understatement. Awesome is too! The nose heavy 2nd Gen F-Body needs it.

When I talked to Weber Chevrolet in St. Louis (1986?), they said the race car they had would do the same and they had to tack weld the bracket to the frame, then it was solid. I wish I knew before I started stripping things out. It gave me a lot of headaches.

Originally Posted by jenkns7
in the near future i would like to set up my 02 ss for auto cross...what brand of suspension parts would you recommend and what parts should i start out with buying first??
Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should post this up in the Auto Cross section. With that said, I'd buy a Watts Link-I really want one!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jenkns. The best thing you can do is contact Sam Strano at stranoparts.com. He's your best source for parts and advice and has the hardware (i.e. trophies) to back it up. Also, Sam carries the full UMI line in case you choose a class that allows mods.

Good luck.

-- Ramey/UMI Performance
Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I agree with UMI sales, Sam will point you and your car in the right direction.

90% of my suspension came from him. All that is different now is the Watts link on my MWC diff, but I did have a Fayes2 with my 12 bolt and loved it.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

x2 with the above posts, use the search function and you'll see who the right guy to call is. > stranoparts.com
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html
Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

One more for the chorus. Sam Strano and $$ is all you need to autox your Camaro. Well you need to learn how to drive too...:-) Best of luck to you!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, and another cool thing about autocross, you can run your car bone stock. It's amazing how much you can learn about driving just by doing. I have about 10 under my belt in a stock '82 Firebird with a 4-cyl!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Sam Strano hands down! I suggest ignoring all other recommendations. He's won several championships and lately he's been pretty much the best driver in the country beating ALL other cars. He'll set your car up to be comfortable and handle great for street and autocross.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for Sam Strano and UMI
Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What should you do first? Nothing. Drive the car stock, then evaluate what you may or may not need. Unless you are a really good driver already, chances are that you'll gain more by having more seat time than spending money on stuff that may put you in classes where you won't be competitive. I have a feeling Sam may echo my thoughts.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
What should you do first? Nothing. Drive the car stock, then evaluate what you may or may not need. Unless you are a really good driver already, chances are that you'll gain more by having more seat time than spending money on stuff that may put you in classes where you won't be competitive. I have a feeling Sam may echo my thoughts.
I agree with this. I did this, though unintentionally. Started out with a stock engine, 35mm front swaybar, 22mm rear, stock suspension, SFCs and 275 nitto 555 street tires all around. It's cool to have an understanding of what a car feels like going through high speed gates left and right with both stock suspension and a good suspension
Old 12-02-2011, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I have to admit that MeentSS02 makes a good point if you have not done autocross before.

Learning at a lower speed improves your skills so when you add to the cars capabilities you will be much faster.

When my car was down and out I was laying waste to much better handling cars with my stock Dodge Magnum. Cars like, C5 Vettes, M Roadsters, and even a Viper was having a tough time beating it raw times.

Magnum looked like it would roll over.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Also, read the rules too, you don't want to bump into a street prepared class if you aren't ready for it. My bars moved me from F-Stock to B-Street Prepared. Whole new ball game in getting your booty whipped up on a LOT faster cars.

Have fun with the stock class, don't think it is lowly to be there, it is a ball!! Bring anything, run anything, have fun!

Ok, the guy in the 80 Pontiac Catalina with a Buick 350 should have just given up, but he and the 4 passengers (fun run) had a great time! He was faster with 5 people in the car than driver alone!!

I haven't done any AC since 1987, but the one year I did it I was having an awesome time.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RamAirRocket
Also, read the rules too, you don't want to bump into a street prepared class if you aren't ready for it. My bars moved me from F-Stock to B-Street Prepared. Whole new ball game in getting your booty whipped up on a LOT faster cars.

Have fun with the stock class, don't think it is lowly to be there, it is a ball!! Bring anything, run anything, have fun!

Ok, the guy in the 80 Pontiac Catalina with a Buick 350 should have just given up, but he and the 4 passengers (fun run) had a great time! He was faster with 5 people in the car than driver alone!!

I haven't done any AC since 1987, but the one year I did it I was having an awesome time.
Unless something changed recently and assuming you're driving an fbody, you should be E-street prepared.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sure a lot has changed, that was 1987 rules.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Unless something changed recently and assuming you're driving an fbody, you should be E-street prepared.

Quick Reply: auto cross