Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

advantages of converting to IRS over solid axle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advantages of converting to IRS over solid axle?

Hey yall I was wondering if there are any clear gains...weight saings, launch traction differences, and any other comparisons of the two
Old 12-09-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Straight line traction, a solid axle is preferred - its not uncommon to see 'vettes and Cobras convert to solid axles when its a dedicated track car

For corner carving, the cost pretty much outweighs the benefit, especially with products like watts links available

...its been done though, just search
Old 12-09-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Vin said. If price isnt a factor, then handling is the benefit. You also have more adjustment with alignment settings. With the IRS, toe, and camber can be adjusted, where with a solid axle, that would involve cutting the tubes at an angle, and pretty much permanently setting the angle.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

if you want a IRS......buy a vette
Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_Dreamin'
Hey yall I was wondering if there are any clear gains...weight saings, launch traction differences, and any other comparisons of the two
The uniqueness of the set up for an f-body is the primary draw, and in my opinion the only justification for it.

This part of your sentence "launch traction differences" tells me you're looking for the wrong thing. IRS is not for drag racing, or any kind of straight line performance. The car will squat when accelerating away quickly, and in so doing gain camber, reducing the tire's contact patch, and causing the wheels to spin more easily. In addition, the added components of the IRS will increase the amount of resistance in the drive train, the by product of which is a reduction in "at the wheel" horsepower

Any other real performance benefits in road course, or autocross, racing would likely be negated since the car very probably wouldn't meet the rules to run in a class where it would be competitive.

That all being said IRS does improve ride quality. Some time ago I posted a write up covering IRS for the 4th gen which can be found here https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...s-4th-gen.html

Quick Reply: advantages of converting to IRS over solid axle?