Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear End Housing under more torsion with reloc. brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Housing under more torsion with reloc. brackets?

Just saw a pic of new moser 9 fab with rod end lca's and relocation brackets and i realized something. When one side of rear is high and other is low such as in turn or bump (due to arc of lca travel) the relocation brackets are adding leverage and torsion in rear housing. This would funcion as a sway bar but beat on those rod ends.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Teching In

to explain more: lets say right rear tire is up such as in bump or hard left turn: (assuming at rest the right lca slants down as it goes back) then as right side of axle goes up the lca-rear connection point will also go back due to the arc of the lca travel as it goes up. the other side will do the opposite so right goes up but lca bracket gets pushed back left side gets pulled forward and torque arm keeps center from moving front or back (mostly since its very long) so your rear is acting like a giant anti swaybar that is being twisted whenever one side goes up more than other. (assuming double rod end lca's)

Since it's super stiff i would imagine you would more likely be bending lca's like a spring and putting huge loads on everything including mounts and rod ends.

conclusion: my opinion is that rod ends are good to reduce bind but they add this different kind of bind. some front to back play is needed to alleviate these forces. My suggestion would be lca's with one rod end and one poly end would give longest life and best performance. the rod end lets them rotate at mount freely and poly end relieves front to back stress from the forces described above.

Any opinions would be appreciated (if they address the forces i discussed)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Im an idiot. The rear would not twist, it would just steer right or left by rotating about a vertical axis. Lca relocation brackets would mean more dramatic rear steering when body rolls.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning csteingraber. I'm under the opinion that relocation brackets introduce a little bit of roll steer but haven't considered the torsional effects (or any other influences) on the rear end or suspension components yet.

Our products are built to withstand anything we can throw at them from a loading standpoint so we tend to leave the other effects out of the equation.

If we have a car that is balanced (neutral with no over- or understeer) my opinion is lowering to the lowest bracket holes will tend to introduce roll-oversteer. This may be good in the case of an understeering road race or autocross car or bad in the opposite case.

As the outboard tire goes in bump the wheelbase would get longer while the inboard wheelbase would get shorter. This wheelbase delta, or difference, would tend to steer the back of the car toward the outside, thus oversteer.

Unfortunately I don't know the magnitude of the change. Yet. Say for instance would it impact the car as much as moving up a sway bar size? Or as much as increasing to the next available rate spring? Not sure, but I do know that a lot of the fun of our sport/hobby/lifestyle is the testing!

ramey