Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front End Clunk (I read the Sticky)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Clunk (I read the Sticky)

Hey guys I my car has 27k miles on it and has the low speed clunk that visibly moves/rocks the car, sometimes pretty good. I consulted with a friend who had me try moving the wheels, there is no play in them. Then I disconnected the sway bar and thought I had fixed it because it honestly seems to be happening less after I disconnected it, but it is still happening. After I disconnected the sway bar I tried probably 10 times to replicate the clunk and I could not, about two days later it did it again and then again this morning.

He mentioned it could be the steering rack, which I didn't see in the sticky. The sticky also mentions the strut nut or whatever that you have to pull it from the car to check. I am wondering if there is any more easy troubleshooting steps before messing with either of those options. I know the rack is a few hundred dollars, and if I have to pull the strut I would imagine the factory **** isn't going back in...

(trying to list info to help) It happens more often in reverse at slow speeds (like carefully backing out of a tight parking spot). I'm almost positive it happens on both sides depending on which direction I'm turning, but if it's just one it's the drivers side. After it happens the car seems to turn better, sometimes it happens a couple times.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

maybe the upper strut mounts crapped out?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car's been sitting out of the snow but I still haven't worked on this anymore, bumping for some more input.

Quick Reply: Front End Clunk (I read the Sticky)