Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Amplified gear noise w/spohn torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amplified gear noise w/spohn torque arm

I recently traded my LS6 Notch for this 01 ws6, it has a M6 with strange 12 bolt, and spohn pro torque arm. When i got the car it had 4.56 gears and it was really loud whining gear noise but the rear needed to be gone over and freshened up. So i had my buddy put in the 3.73 gears, and all new bearings and seals all that stuff. So it was profesionally done. Still loud, not as loud. Is this normal? Is there any way to stop this? Its not a huge deal but if i could quiet it down that would be nice.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and i should add the noise sounds like its from tranny (but its really coming from where the torque arm mounts to towards front of car)
Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

whats your driveline angles?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any gear noise will be amplified by the torque arm since it attaches right to the source of the noise on the rear end. Tunnel mounted torque arms remove two bushings from the equation that help damp that noise - the torque arm bushing on the tailshaft, and the transmission mount bushing attached to the cross member. That's why tunnel mounted torque arms transmit more noise into the cabin - there simply isn't anything between it and the sheet metal to damp the noise.

Either get used to it, or go back to a stock style torque arm that mounts to the tailshaft.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my buddy set it up at the shop so id have to ask him. But i just found this from strange

http://ftp.pwp.att.net/m/d/mdavies2009/misc/S60.pdf read gear noise.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Any gear noise will be amplified by the torque arm since it attaches right to the source of the noise on the rear end. Tunnel mounted torque arms remove two bushings from the equation that help damp that noise - the torque arm bushing on the tailshaft, and the transmission mount bushing attached to the cross member. That's why tunnel mounted torque arms transmit more noise into the cabin - there simply isn't anything between it and the sheet metal to damp the noise.

Either get used to it, or go back to a stock style torque arm that mounts to the tailshaft.

Yea i have a radio to cover the sound, just wasnt sure if anyone did anything to help the sound? And going back to stock style probably not the best idea figuring im going for 1000HP
Old 01-01-2012, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Strange 12 bolt whines like crazy. I had a tunnel mounted torque arm for about a week then took it off and sold it. The whining didn't bother me till the torque arm swap. Bought a Spohn tranny mounted one and it's great.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
My Strange 12 bolt whines like crazy. I had a tunnel mounted torque arm for about a week then took it off and sold it. The whining didn't bother me till the torque arm swap. Bought a Spohn tranny mounted one and it's great.
Good to know, thankyou

Quick Reply: Amplified gear noise w/spohn torque arm