Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotor failure!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rotor failure!

I've just taken delivery of a complete LS1 rear axle as I intend on doing the LT1 to LS1 rear brake swap, I was only counting on the mounting hardware assuming I'd have to get new rotors and pads but I was quite chuffed to find all the pads and rotors were almost brand new.
I don't know the donor cars history but it was a 2001 LS1 A4 and is currently in a salvage yard, the car has had a fair bit taken off and what with the way the scrap cars get shoved about with forklifts etc. it was difficult to see the original damage. I only had a few pics of the car to go by.

On closer inspection I found this worrying sight around the E-brake drum section of the rotor:
(the cracked section is actually leaning outwards)

Is this number any indication of the manufacturer of the rotor, aftermarket or otherwise?

I'm going to buy a replacement rotor, but I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before happen to a nearly new rotor? Its as if the parking brake cracked it.

Last edited by CamaroUK; 03-07-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's seen better days. I wouldn't fret it, it possibly could have gotten damaged from whatever accident it was in, or by the crew moving stuff around, or who knows what. Just get new rotors and move on. I'd never use the rotors that came on a junkyard axle anyway, usually too much rust and crap and unknowns with them (warpage, cracks like that, etc).

There is no way the parking brake can apply enough force to bust the rotor.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

More than likely rust from sitting in the 'yard
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Replacement rotors aren't expensive. Just replace both when you swap the axle into your car. No reason to skimp on them after taking the time and money to do the swap. I always replace items like that after they have sat in a junkyard.

To answer your question the rotor either cracked in the accident, or the yard dropped the axle assembly hard. No big deal either way.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just grab some ACDelco's on Amazon, they were only like $40 each.

Quick Reply: Rotor failure!