Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

I've just spent about $1000 in the past 2 weeks on parts for the car. New brakes will be here on Friday, among other parts here already. While rolling my fenders today I realized that I most likely need some new shocks, at least in the rear of the car right now. How can I confirm this? I know in a Jeep, but not sure in a car. 96,000 miles on it - probably OE suspension. The rear end moves a good 3-5" under load - or if someone of around 200 lbs sits on the trunk area (easier to roll the fenders lol). The car does ride though...

Any suggestions?

Thanks....
Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Depends on what you want to do with your car, what you want to get out of it and what you are willing to spend.
Do you want to drag race? Good ride quality? (do you prefer overly soft like an old cadillac, or firm and taught like a sports sedan?) Handling?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I loved my E36 M3 but that bitch rode way too tight. Eibach Race kit with Konis = no bueno on comfort lol. I go to the drag strip 3-6 times a year. I go to a normal race track 2-3 times a year, and I daily drive it in most of spring and summer. With having just spent $1000 on random crap, I'm trying not to spend a TON... I can save money by going with any of these brands as I have a dealer account with 'em:

Fox Racing, Bilstein, Rancho, King, Edelbrock, etc.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bilstein or Konis would be your best choice.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This place is camp Strano/ Koni.

I installed some Monroe shocks with a Pro Kit....car rides great/better than it did before. My stock parts had 170k on them so anything would have been better.

Not saying Monroe/ Pro Kit is better than Strano/ Koni, but it is cheaper.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I've been thinking about this whole thing... maybe we all need to stop asking about "What is the best ride quality", because clearly the varying opinions are pretty extreme.

MAYBE.. we need to start asking or explaining the driving characteristics that we'd like our cars to behave like? This would mean people using actual "facts" about how the shocks behave. So this way people can help recommend the type of shock that will APPLY to the driving characteristics that you want.

Otherwise everyone will continue to say they think a medium rare porterhouse steak tastes better than a well done ribeye, and get mad and cry about it when they disagree like a bunch of little girls. Because really that's what keeps taking place here and never ends.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I've been thinking about this whole thing... maybe we all need to stop asking about "What is the best ride quality", because clearly the varying opinions are pretty extreme.

MAYBE.. we need to start asking or explaining the driving characteristics that we'd like our cars to behave like? This would mean people using actual "facts" about how the shocks behave. So this way people can help recommend the type of shock that will APPLY to the driving characteristics that you want.

Otherwise everyone will continue to say they think a medium rare porterhouse steak tastes better than a well done ribeye, and get mad and cry about it when they disagree like a bunch of little girls. Because really that's what keeps taking place here and never ends.
Good idea.

For the record. Medium Rare steak is better than well done regardless of cut. There can be no arguement.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Medium Rare steak is better than well done regardless of cut. There can be no arguement.
Clearly!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Good idea.

For the record. Medium Rare steak is better than well done regardless of cut. There can be no arguement.
Great, now I'm hungry.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan

I agree, but getting people to do it???

Nolan Ryan has the best beef by the way.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rare.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
I've just spent about $1000 in the past 2 weeks on parts for the car. New brakes will be here on Friday, among other parts here already. While rolling my fenders today I realized that I most likely need some new shocks, at least in the rear of the car right now. How can I confirm this? I know in a Jeep, but not sure in a car. 96,000 miles on it - probably OE suspension. The rear end moves a good 3-5" under load - or if someone of around 200 lbs sits on the trunk area (easier to roll the fenders lol). The car does ride though...

Any suggestions?

Thanks....
But anyways, are you getting the axle movement due to the suspension geometry of the panhard bar? If that's the case then a Watts link will take care of that. It keeps the rear end centered laterally throughout suspension travel.

The E36 M3 is a pretty damn firm ride compared to the LS1. I've sat in quite a few of them as passenger during autox events. I imagine the springs and shocks might have been a pretty aggressive performance setup. If you want ideal roll control/handling, the Koni's for our car have perfect static compression given the unsprung weight is around stock. I've heard the compression is lower on Koni SA's compared to a lot of shocks out there.. but that's a good thing because it allows the springs to do the job. Then you can dial the rebound as you please.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Valid points from z28Bryan. Best ride is accomplished with stock height and in/ lb springs with good shocks. Best handling requires uprated springs which generally are lower than stock with matched shocks. Depending on your local roads, you may not find setup 2
acceptable.
If you load up your ride but still want a lowering spring, maybe some rear lift assist bags for those times you need a boost? Regardless, new shocks will control spring oscillations and curtail suspension 'crashing' over bumps. Buy the best shocks you can afford, some sponsors here have a sale going on and offer excellent mid priced stuff too...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My Favorite combos are. Stock springs with Konis on the lower circlip and rear hose mod... then Strano springs with Konis... and Hotchkis springs with Bilsteins.