Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Loud squealing noise after changing brakes/rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud squealing noise after changing brakes/rotors...

I just recently changed the front and rear pads and rotors on my '02 T/A. When i was doing the drivers side rear i didnt realize i had the parking break on so i took a couple good hits at the rotor with a rubber mallett thinking it was just stuck on before i realized i'm stupid lol. Now i have it all back together, took it for a nice drive and about 5 minutes in it started making a loud noise, almost like metal on metal. Did i possibly mess up the parking brake and now its rubbing on the rotor or something? Any ideas? It's really loud.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

No ideas?? I just pulled both rears apart to compare, and it seems as though the parking brake on the drivers side is loose (slides up and down slightly) whereas the one on the passenger side is snug in there. The parking brake is not on. How do i get the drivers side to not move around? That has to be where the metal on metal sound is coming from
Old 05-22-2012, 05:54 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You have to adjust the parking brake on each side of the car to match the new rotors. This can only be done with the calipers off.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM

have you figured out the issue? i just did the same thing with my car and it is squeaking now. I kept the parking break on and banged on rotor to get it out. Pleas let me know if you figured out the issue.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

check the brake pad hardware. the metal pieces that the pads sit into on the caliper bracket. it happend to me once made a horrible metal to metal noise
Old 06-18-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gnkid1987
check the brake pad hardware. the metal pieces that the pads sit into on the caliper bracket. it happend to me once made a horrible metal to metal noise
Same thing happened to me recently, I thought it was the e brake.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kiranme
have you figured out the issue? i just did the same thing with my car and it is squeaking now. I kept the parking break on and banged on rotor to get it out. Pleas let me know if you figured out the issue.
really? you know the parking brake is meant to KEEP THE WHEELS IN PLACE, by placing pressure on the pads inside the rotor and pressing against it to keep the rear wheels from turning. By keeping the brake on you make it harder on yourself to take the brakes off, and they are definitely adjusted wrong if you slid the rotor on with the brake on.

Quick Reply: Loud squealing noise after changing brakes/rotors...