Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Mixed brake fluids

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mixed brake fluids

I was adding on a stoptech bbk to my RX-7 and didn't have access to the fluid that was in the car already. I did a flush with a dot5 fluid from Checkers/Oreilys.

Before the upgrade the brakes bit really hard due to the aggressive pads but the pedal felt softish. I added the BBK and the new fluid and it was not fixed. After reading around the dot5 is overly compressible and isn't all that great. So I have ordered ATE Super Blue and am wondering what the best way to get the dot5 silicon crap out is without cleaning every line individually. The car does have all stainless lines btw.

I think my biggest hurdle for getting the dot5 out will be the ABS motor. :-/
Old 06-03-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any ideas bump?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

DOT 5 is silicone-based and should not be mixed with any other brake fluid (which are glycol-based). DOT 5 should not be used on the street either.

I'm not sure the best way to fully flush the system, but you definitely need to get that DOT 5 fluid out of there. You can try the normal way, but you may need to flush a couple times or hook it up to a Tech2 to make sure the ABS system gets fully flushed.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, fully drain and run new fluid out of each line.. it might take some time..but do it right.. order extra fluids..

Quick Reply: Mixed brake fluids