Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stranos and Bilsteins = bouncy.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stranos and Bilsteins = bouncy.

My car came with these already installed. I feel like I'm in a rally car. I want a smooth ride. I'd love some ground clearance also! Not so concerned about corners. I want a nice smooth ride and not to feel every bump. Go back to stock springs or is there a better way?
Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z
My car came with these already installed. I feel like I'm in a rally car. I want a smooth ride. I'd love some ground clearance also! Not so concerned about corners. I want a nice smooth ride and not to feel every bump. Go back to stock springs or is there a better way?
If you don't mind the appearance, stock springs all the way. If the aluminum spacer is on the rear bump stops, get rid of that too.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im kinda confused. So its bouncy but do you want to fix the bouncing and keep the good handling? If so then you want Konis. If you don't like that range of ride height/suspension travel, then you might want to go back to stock springs.

I believe Bilstien and Strano's seem to work decent initially but the rates on Strano's will eventually wear the Bilstiens down slowly.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

I want to keep a smooth ride. Handling isn't terrible with stock springs. I just want to be able to hit a bump in the road and not feel it. lol Konis may be the answer. These Bilsteins might be on their way out.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Handling isn't terrible on stock springs but its light years away from a good set of lowered springs.

But anyways, stock is probably what you want. You might be able to keep the Bilstiens you have now.. but not sure if they're too worn by now. You should probably tell us what other stuff you have in the car too if you not want to feel any bumps.. depending on how you define "not feeling a bump", it may or may not be possible to fix. We're venturing into the ride quality personal preference thing here...
Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I installed Konis last Spring, but found them to be little to stiff and went back to Bilstein. I have some for sale if you want to try them
Old 06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I want to keep a smooth ride. Handling isn't terrible with stock springs. I just want to be able to hit a bump in the road and not feel it. lol Konis may be the answer. These Bilsteins might be on their way out.
Not gonna happen.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

Koni's are definitely not the answer. You'll feel more bumps in the road. You're asking a lot. I can feel the bumps in a Cadillac CTS. You can smooth the ride of your f-body out, but not nearly that much.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Not gonna happen.
X2 its an Fbody, not a Cadillac. Might want to trade for a CTS-V or a G8.

Stock springs and bilsteins are about as close as you're gonna get.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Ok, let's go over a few things.

1. How many miles are on the shocks? Bilstein's are not the ideal for lowering springs, never have been. They do a good job for the price, and for the first 30k miles or so, but after that they will start to show their lack of rebound damping.

2. "bouncy" This can mean different things to different folks. A lack of rebound damping will make the car "bounce" as in not settle out after impacts. Also as shocks wear the compression side suffers and that can lead to more impact harshness. Lest you think that shocks that softer ride better, keep in mind that as stock shocks wear they ride worse. They aren't getting stiffer.

3. "bouncy" continued. Lowering springs, spring rate, and working travel. Lowering springs are not for everyone. The best shocks in the world can't make the wheel rate of a car softer. It could well be that you just don't want lowering springs. Mine ride pretty damned well as far as lowering spring go, but they are shorter, and stiffer than stock springs. You'll find many that tell you my springs and good shocks ride better than stock. That's not softer, it's just that it's less harsh. A stock setup is pretty crash-bang, while being vague and floaty too. That's not a combo a lot of folks like.

I can't know how trashed your shocks are. But if you think they are ok, and you want a softer ride, then leave them on and swap to stock springs. That will make the ride softer. It will roll around more and not handle the same, but it will be a better ride because the springs are softer and you have more working travel, and the shocks need not work as hard to damp those taller softer springs.

Alternatively, if there are miles on the shocks, they are likely getting a bit weak for the spring rate you have. You could put new ones on if you want the better handling and lowered look.

As for "not feeling bumps". someone said it, ain't gonna happen. A solid axle car with a wheelbase of only 101 isn't the way you waft over bumps.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

I like the seat in my Camaro and can't buy something else. I guess I should clarify. I want to minimize the hard jolt on dips and the float you get with bad shocks on the highway. My car can't come out of a driveway without scraping the front bumper right now.

1. I have no idea on miles. They were on the car when I got it. The springs definitely do their job. The Bilsteins look new but that doesn't mean much.

2. The car recovers from a dip easily and the Bilsteins seem nice and stiff. The springs do their part and the Bilsteins do theirs. I just think its too much for me. I enjoyed my f bodies stock ride when the suspension was brand new. If I can get to that or better... that's my goal.

3. I'm going to try some stock springs. If I don't like them, I'll still have my Stranos. The Bilteins aren't my first choice but they were on the car and I'm not going back to Decarbons. hah

The Strano springs are awesome. This is my second set to own. I purchased some for a previous car and it wasn't driven much. I daily this car and would really like to gain some ground clearance and just a more stock ride. I didn't ever really mind the stock ride.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i was just about to get strano springs, i have Bilstien's do you guys suggest against this or is this just a personal experience?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Junkie

What other modifications do you have? What size wheels and tires, etc... this is important
Old 06-21-2012, 11:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I like the seat in my Camaro and can't buy something else. I guess I should clarify. I want to minimize the hard jolt on dips and the float you get with bad shocks on the highway. My car can't come out of a driveway without scraping the front bumper right now.

1. I have no idea on miles. They were on the car when I got it. The springs definitely do their job. The Bilsteins look new but that doesn't mean much.

2. The car recovers from a dip easily and the Bilsteins seem nice and stiff. The springs do their part and the Bilsteins do theirs. I just think its too much for me. I enjoyed my f bodies stock ride when the suspension was brand new. If I can get to that or better... that's my goal.

3. I'm going to try some stock springs. If I don't like them, I'll still have my Stranos. The Bilteins aren't my first choice but they were on the car and I'm not going back to Decarbons. hah

The Strano springs are awesome. This is my second set to own. I purchased some for a previous car and it wasn't driven much. I daily this car and would really like to gain some ground clearance and just a more stock ride. I didn't ever really mind the stock ride.
I'd have to recommend stock springs then. It would seem your car doesn't float, and you want to avoid it starting too. That's a shock issue and if it's not now the shocks are fine.

As much as love to see folks on my springs, they just aren't right for every person or situation. This is the case here.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Sam Strano springs, Bilstein HDs, Eibach sway bars, UMI PHR, UMI LCAs, Edlebrock torque arm and 18x9.5 wheels.

If you like a great handling car that hugs the road, definitely get the Strano springs. That's just not a priority for me. I'm going to keep them and get some stock 1LE springs. See how I like those. If I cant take the change, I'll go back to the Strano springs and get some Koni shocks.

Sam... I cant say enough good things about these springs. I'm more for cruising this car on a daily and an occasional trip to the drag strip. Maybe you can convert me to a road course guy.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

What kind of LCAs? I haven't personally had anything except stock LCAs with crappy star bushings. I believe these can effect ride quality too.

What kind of tires do you have? Tires with stiffer sidewalls will have less give over bumps. What tire pressure do you run?

Going to a smaller size wheel will help a lot. Whenever I put back on my 16 inch winter wheels no matter if it's my Camaro or BMW, it softens up the ride big time.

In conclusion I think you can do other things to soften the ride up too.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:20 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps give the SLP Y2Y Bilstein/Eibach's a try. Little lower than stock, certainly more composed, but not a wild ride. It's not like you'll be out much more than your time since I'm sure you can find someone to take those Strano's off your hands.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sam Strano springs, Bilstein HDs, Eibach sway bars, UMI PHR, UMI LCAs, Edlebrock torque arm and 18x9.5 wheels.

If you like a great handling car that hugs the road, definitely get the Strano springs. That's just not a priority for me. I'm going to keep them and get some stock 1LE springs. See how I like those. If I cant take the change, I'll go back to the Strano springs and get some Koni shocks.

Sam... I cant say enough good things about these springs. I'm more for cruising this car on a daily and an occasional trip to the drag strip. Maybe you can convert me to a road course guy.
You don't want 1LE springs. The rears are stiffer than mine... and that's where most of the ride quality/stiffness comes from. Put standard springs on the car.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the advice Sam. You think some Konis and stock springs would be what I am looking for?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think maybe yes. Well, unless you want to go really great and go with Monroe Sensatrac's.... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Springs give a stiffer ride, with less roll and pitch. Softer springs with dampers that have a lot of rebound give a firm ride, and ultimately more roll and pitch, but with a slower roll and pitch rate. The car will take a set faster with more rebound damping and generally feel more "tied down". You could stay with stock springs, add bettter shocks and go with swaybars instead of the springs. That way you get the additional wheel rate increase you seek in corners when the bars flex, but don't have to put up with it all the time like you do with springs. Also you have more working travel for the shocks to do their work and before you contact bumpstops.

You have a lot of options. Personally, I have no huge hate for stock springs. In fact I think they get a bum deal due to poor or improper shocks. Personally I would not be happy with Bilstein's myself. For years back when I autocrossed my Z28 in F-stock I ran stock springs and Koni's and I loved it as a street car here in Western PA. Our roads are not perfect, and it was firm, but it was a great combination of firm and controlled for screwing around without being too stiff and skipping off the road.... I could have run the Koni's softer, more like a Bilstein setting. Hell, anyone here could, but most of us do not choose to do so when we have that option.

Quick Reply: Stranos and Bilsteins = bouncy.