Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano 3 way rear adjustable sway bar??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I made my recommendation. I will say that I have to special order/make the 25mm unit, that will take some time.

Shipping to NY, about $25 at the outside.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2Ttype
yeah i understand all that, Now i have to chose , do i get the 22 adjustable that can go more soft or do i get the 25 that can go a little more stiffer, im thinking the 25 because i dont road race at all, just cruse and a little drag racing, i dont know just want to get the right one, How much sam shipped to 11727 NY
You should seriously get the 22 adjustable. If you say a "little" drag racing then putting the 22 in the stiffer settings will be plenty to keep the rear end straight.

If your thinking of getting more hard core into it, then they have other options out there for rear sway bars.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Z28bryan, i alreay have the other option a big spohn "drag" sway bay, and its way to stiff no bend or twist to it at all, How do u know the 22mm set in the stiff position will keep 740/670 rwhp/tq straight??

and it seems to be no one using a adjustable sway bar

if a 22mm can be adjusted to 260 lbs/in max , and the drag bar i have now is 1,200-1,500 lbs/in how is only 260ish enough???? i figure the 25.5mm
(1 inch) would be 300+ lbs/in and that might be stiff enough to keep my car straight for some 1/4 blasts
Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Strano adjustable sway bar you speak of. Honestly I think the car should have had this bar from the factory. Perfect for street and some strip duty.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Z28bryan, i alreay have the other option a big spohn "drag" sway bay, and its way to stiff no bend or twist to it at all, How do u know the 22mm set in the stiff position will keep 740/670 rwhp/tq straight??

and it seems to be no one using a adjustable sway bar

if a 22mm can be adjusted to 260 lbs/in max , and the drag bar i have now is 1,200-1,500 lbs/in how is only 260ish enough???? i figure the 25.5mm
(1 inch) would be 300+ lbs/in and that might be stiff enough to keep my car straight for some 1/4 blasts
Oh my bad. I missed the 700+ hp part! I just read a "little" drag racing, but sounds like you have the potential to do some monster drag racing

I guess, can you find out if anyone has issues with keeping the car straight on a 25mm rear bar with your type of setup? If no problems, then I'd go with the 22 adjustable. I think the highest setting is supposedly pretty close to a 25mm
Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Launching!

hey NoJuice do you have the 22mm adjustable or the bogger 25mm (1inch) ??
Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Yeah Z28bryan , sorry i didnt say that from the begining, car has a Merkel forged/built
LS6 , Methanol injected D1-sc with custom auto spring tentioner, @15 psi she makes 740 RWHP , but i dont kill her, Stock rear tranny and driveshaft. So with the Spohn Drag bar she rides very rough, im even on stock springs and koni SA shocks, i think the rears are set pretty soft as of how strano told me where to put them at. The drag bar affects the other side of the car over rough road, the whole car shakes, I think you know what im talking about so im looking for a bar that will be street friendly and stiff enough to keep the car straight when i get on it, Its obvious i have to get a adjustable to get the best of both worlds but will the 22mm be stiff enough in the stiff position, if not will the 25 be soft enough in the soft position
Old 08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

If you plan on any spirted twisty runs at all or even on the streets I'd go with the adj 22mm. It'll be safer with 700+hp but depending on what size tire you run while doing so will determine what setting. Like said before a little understeer is better than snap oversteer, even more so with 700+ ponies. If it's not enough the adj sways work well with a watts link I have friends on stock suspention with that much power.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 AM
Launching!

im not sure the difference between understeer and oversteer, but i think i have oversteer now with that nid drag sway bar i have
Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

im not sure the difference between understeer and oversteer, but i think i have oversteer now with that nid drag sway bar i have
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understeer_and_oversteer

Oversteer is you turn and back wheels put you into a drift.

Understeer is when you try to turn the front wheels when going too fast and the car doesn't turn and just melts the front tires.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
. . . . so I offer the adjustables. The guy who runs a big tire stagger, or does some drag racing, or whatever might want some ability to stiffen the rear bar sometimes, but not deal with the freaking bridge girder all the time.
Sam, could you expand on this? When is a wheel/tire combo in need of a stiffer setting in the rear sway bar? I am on a 315/35R18 rear tire and a 275/40R18 front tire. Would I benefit from going to the "middle-hole" setting or should I stick with the softest setting?
Old 08-22-2012, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The heavy end of the car is the front. Add more rubber on the back, and you tend to tighten the car up (and my stuff springs and normal bars were developed with a "square" as in equal, tire size at each end).

As with most adjustments, what you settle on is both personal, and and a result of the sum total of the other parts on the car and how they work, and the resulting driveability of them. I can't say for sure you need to go stiffer.. I can say you have the option to try which you would not have with a non-adjustable bar. And see if you like it. If the car is oversteer prone I'd say stiffer is not what you want.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Sam, could you expand on this? When is a wheel/tire combo in need of a stiffer setting in the rear sway bar? I am on a 315/35R18 rear tire and a 275/40R18 front tire. Would I benefit from going to the "middle-hole" setting or should I stick with the softest setting?
Depends on what you do with the car. In most cases stick with the softest setting. 22mm is a pretty stiff setting as is.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The heavy end of the car is the front. Add more rubber on the back, and you tend to tighten the car up (and my stuff springs and normal bars were developed with a "square" as in equal, tire size at each end).

As with most adjustments, what you settle on is both personal, and and a result of the sum total of the other parts on the car and how they work, and the resulting driveability of them. I can't say for sure you need to go stiffer.. I can say you have the option to try which you would not have with a non-adjustable bar. And see if you like it. If the car is oversteer prone I'd say stiffer is not what you want.
I'll mess with it and see what the middle setting feels like. Another question: When comparing my install with other pics of the adjustable rear sway bar, I noticed my end link is installed upside down with the thicker portion of the links bolted to the body/chassis. Would this affect anything and should I rotate it upside down?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Launching!

with the 22mm "adjustable" bar set in the softest position, does it have the "same" stiffness as a 22 non adjustable bar?

02Transam how do you like your 22mm adjustable bar?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not 100% but yes, I think it's essentially similar to most 22mm hollow bars.

What I think would be nice would be a 19mm adjustable bar since I don't want the range up higher.. I'd rather play around with lower values.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I'll mess with it and see what the middle setting feels like. Another question: When comparing my install with other pics of the adjustable rear sway bar, I noticed my end link is installed upside down with the thicker portion of the links bolted to the body/chassis. Would this affect anything and should I rotate it upside down?
Doesn't matter.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

with the 22mm "adjustable" bar set in the softest position, does it have the "same" stiffness as a 22 non adjustable bar?

The adjustable one is very slightly stiffer in it's full soft position when compared to the standard bar.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't comment on the adjustability of the rear bar because I haven't messed with it yet but overall, I love the 35/22 combo. I like the idea of an adjustable bar so if I go to the track (quarter mile not auto-cross), I can easily switch to the stiffer setting. I am also on Strano/Koni's too.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This sort of the point and why I would not recommend a 25mm bar. It only gets stiffer from there... here's a guy with a 22mm bar, hasn't stiffened it (yet) because it works that well for balance. He has two positions stiffer, and there is a difference even with one hole stiffer.

25mm is a lot of rear bar, that's why I don't typically recommend, or sell 25mm rear bars.

Quick Reply: Strano 3 way rear adjustable sway bar??