Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI - BMR - Founders (Panhard Relocation Bracket)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default UMI - BMR - Founders (Panhard Relocation Bracket)

What is your status or when are you going to step up to the plate and start offering the driver side bracket for those of us who have your panhard relocation bracket kit?

The issue and request has been known and on this forum long enough.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...erference.html

I have been waiting for months - I finally ordered the bracket today from Jegs.

"What you say - you had to order a bracket from Jegs when this bracket should have been an option from the get-go from the three who are actually selling the panhard relocation bracket. And it's still NOT available"
Old 08-17-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all mods in this world are compatible with other mods. UMI, BMR, Founders, etc don't owe us anything

You did the right thing and got the bracket from Jegs. Also Unbalanced Engineering offers the PHB relo brackets.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

still would be nice if one of the sponsors here offered it.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Bryan. It is pretty difficult to release a seemingly simple product. We look at things like cost to manufacture, estimated annual sales, etc. The remaining piece of the PHB lowering puzzle is on my list...
Old 08-21-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Jegs bracket arrived today. It lowers the panhard bar so it is level. Doing so also adds clearance between the panhard relocation bracket and the panhard bar for those of us who have lowering springs. Mine was actually touching all the time when the suspension was loaded.

The bracket appears to be engineered very well. I doubt at my horsepower level and type of driving that I will rip it out of the stock panhard driver's side bracket. The kit does include a brace for those who want extra protection but it must be welded in.

All bolts were included and they are plated.

The kit fit almost perfect except for just a little of bit of grinding to allow perfect alignment of the bolts. It's an easy two hour job with a jack and jackstands. Make sure you have a very good 7/16 inch drill bit. The metal in the bracket was very hard. Perhaps tempered abit because of the welds in the bracket.

I would have liked to buy this part from a sponsor, but since it isn't available I bought it from Jegs.

Here are some pics of the install. Ignore the stock lower control arms. I am testing for noise. I might reinstall my Spohn delrin spherical rod end lca's because it's possible the noise and banging was the panhard relocation bar and the panhard bar vibratiing touching each other after I lowered the car with Strano's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...57631182967276

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 08-21-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Fwiw, I'm on stranos and my phb doesn't hit the relocation bar/bracket.. thanks for the feedback on the jegs bracket though
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bill12690
Fwiw, I'm on stranos and my phb doesn't hit the relocation bar/bracket.. thanks for the feedback on the jegs bracket though
I had this discussion today with BMR. I was told their bracket is made differently than others and as a result their panhard bar and panhard relocation bar do not hit each other if the car is lowered. BMR said they specifically tested for it when they designed their kit.

My kit is by UMI. The bars touched each other after I lowered my car. Am I dissing UMI. Not necessarily because I never thought to ask them when I bought the kit if it was designed so that the bars would not touch if I later decided to lower my car.

I bought the bracket from Jegs for two reasons. The first was to get some clearance between the two bars. The second was to level the panhard bar.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I had this discussion today with BMR. I was told their bracket is made differently than others and as a result their panhard bar and panhard relocation bar do not hit each other if the car is lowered. BMR said they specifically tested for it when they designed their kit.

My kit is by UMI. The bars touched each other after I lowered my car. Am I dissing UMI. Not necessarily because I never thought to ask them when I bought the kit if it was designed so that the bars would not touch if I later decided to lower my car.

I bought the bracket from Jegs for two reasons. The first was to get some clearance between the two bars. The second was to level the panhard bar.
Ah... guess I could've said this sooner, mines from Founders. I think i'll get the bracket from jegs at some point to add to it.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Our kit is indeed bent entirely different than the others on the market and it does work on lowered vehicles without hitting...however, there is always a chance someone will lower their car to the point they would - I assume. In a handling application, it can contribute to weight jacking where the body of the car will actually come up due to the suspension load being applied.

It is a part we know would be a good addition to our product line, and it's on our list.
- Kevin

For the record, we designed this product so customers could run a dual 3-inch exhaust system over their axle. Kooks has designed a bolt-on true-dual exhaust that exits the rear of the car and uses our panhard bar relocation kit.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-22-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I want the sponsors to make a 19 mm adjustable swaybar. They probably won't though. I'm a minority
Old 08-31-2012, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, I no longer have an F-body but I had the UMI panhard relocation kit and my adjustable panhard would hit the bracket. I bought the JEGS adjustable bracket. It wasn't real expensive. I bolted it on initially but it moved around a tiny bit. I welded it it and did not use the additional brace that they provide you with, I didn't feel it was necessary. The Jegs kit solved all of my issues.

Last edited by 9t8z28; 08-31-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Just a heads up, if you want your car to turn and you go messing around with the angle of the panhard rod it can really screw up the way a car turns by lowering it.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Just a heads up, if you want your car to turn and you go messing around with the angle of the panhard rod it can really screw up the way a car turns by lowering it.
Thats what the Jegs kit fixes. You set the panhard parallel to the ground at ride height like its supposed to be
Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Thats what the Jegs kit fixes. You set the panhard parallel to the ground at ride height like its supposed to be
Thats just part of it, from FRRAX

Panhard bar lowering brackets
The rear roll center height on 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies is high resulting in an inclined roll axis. When you lower a late model f-body the roll center height in the rear doesn’t drop as much as the front, therefore the roll axis becomes even more inclined. One reason that GM did this perhaps is to allow for softer rear springs so the ride quality would be improved. Since the rear roll center height is determined by where the phb crosses the axle centerline we can very easily change the rear roll center height by lowering the phb. This is accomplished by adding on phb brackets. This is nothing new, although Unbalanced Engineering released their prefabbed kit a few years back which has thrust this controversial issue into the spot light.

As covered under “basic vehicle dynamics”, the roll center height is a basic fundamental of the car’s suspension. A change in the roll center height will change the distance between it and the cg where centripetal force acts upon. Lowering the rear roll center height therefore increases the rear roll couple by increasing the lever arm length. This will increase rear body roll and if made alone the car will push. To counteract this stiffer rear springs and sway bars must be added. Then the shocks must be revalved. The basic goal in revalving them is to lessen compression damping to keep the car compliant over bumps (despite stiffer springs) and to increase rebound damping to control the stiffer springs. Popular shocks for this are Koni DA’s, Bilstein HD’s and other custom valved race shocks such as aluminum bodied Bilsteins or Penskes. Some users have made their brackets adjustable for different roll centers and leveling the panhard bar.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Guys, I no longer have an F-body but I had the UMI panhard relocation kit and my adjustable panhard would hit the bracket. I bought the JEGS adjustable bracket. It wasn't real expensive. I bolted it on initially but it moved around a tiny bit. I welded it it and did not use the additional brace that they provide you with, I didn't feel it was necessary. The Jegs kit solved all of my issues.
Bolted it on initially? That seems dangerous to me... or maybe I'm missing something. I wouldn't recommend anyone try that.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Launching!

figures i find this thread only after i have the same issue. never even thought it was gonna be an problem. i bought the umi bar for the purpose of running duals. afterwards everytime i had a passenger in the car i'd hear a new bang going over dips. didn't realize it was the umi piece until I looked and saw the stock bar had started to rub off the powder coating.

worst part of it all is i'm still at stock right height. if not a little bit higher due to some minor weight reduction. (back seats, all panels from door back, and spare/jack are gone.)
Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im lowered about 1.25 and have the founders phb and relocation. on certain bumps i get a bumping between the two bars. just got my jegs bracket in the mail and should be putting it on friday.

Quick Reply: UMI - BMR - Founders (Panhard Relocation Bracket)