Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Issue with brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with brakes?

Hey guys, I think this is a brake issue, so I'm posting it here.

A week ago or so while driving my car (98 TA, drilled/slotted rotors and hawks pads, t56) I noticed that while pulling up to red lights (after a bit of driving), I didn't have to press the brakes for the car to stop, it came to a halt on its own quite rapidly, almost as if the brakes were being slightly pressed, but they weren't. It happened on two separate days, always after a bit of driving, and kept doing it till I shut the car off for a while, then it went back to normal. Today I was on the freeway when I came into a bunch of traffic, after a mile or so of stop and go, the issue returned, this time with a vengeance. The car kept braking harder and harder on its own. Eventually I could barely get it to move without stalling out (had to really gas it to get it to the shoulder of the road). So I thought I would need a tow. While waiting for the tow I shut the car off and engaged the parking brake. As soon as the tow truck pulled up (like half an hour) I turned the car on to scoot it a bit over to the truck and the problem was gone. Car ran fine, didn't even have to tow it. Drove around for the rest of the evening without any issues (although I tried to use the brake very lightly for the rest of the day).

Any ideas of what the issue could be guys? I'm thinking maybe a bad caliper? Or master cylinder? Help is much appreciated!

UPDATE: I noticed the brake pedal resistance changes (for example I brake and its hard to press, I'll brake again a second or two later and its very easy to press)

Last edited by Atrus; 09-20-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Did you get your issue resolved? If not have you checked your traction control system?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default brakes

Keep us informed as to what you find out. I am very interested and am having brake problems on my 99 Z28.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Launching!

it could be a caliper that is getting stuck.....you almost need to get it to happen again and then jack the car up and spin each wheel by hand to see if any of them are froze up. It could also be a bearing possibly binding up in the rear end. But more then likely a caliper issue due to the fact you said the pedal feels different when it happens. It would have nothing to do with the traction control system as stated above due to it works by limiting the throttle input and not by applying brakes. hope this helps
Old 11-02-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
it could be a caliper that is getting stuck.....you almost need to get it to happen again and then jack the car up and spin each wheel by hand to see if any of them are froze up. It could also be a bearing possibly binding up in the rear end. But more then likely a caliper issue due to the fact you said the pedal feels different when it happens. It would have nothing to do with the traction control system as stated above due to it works by limiting the throttle input and not by applying brakes. hope this helps
The traction control system does utililize the ABS system. Throttle control is also utilized.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Launching!

the only thing it uses the abs system for is determine wheel slip, it never mechanically engages the brakes though.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Teching In

it appears to be like you have an abs sensor that is giving incorrect readings, and possibly starting your traction control program, it would be a wise decision to have that checked out before weather hits so your anti-lock brake system is working properly.
When the light comes on, it usually means that the traction control is active. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Issue with brakes?