Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how does upper ball joints go together??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how does upper ball joints go together??

ok might be a dumb question, i bought aftermarket a arma and ball joints, i drove the car today and something isnt right, did i put the ball joints together right? where does the metal part go???

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...+joint+-+upper
Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh to add after i i parked it and jacked it up, they do not look right. the grease is spooing out. something isnt right
Old 10-22-2012, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

This is a good question as they really should include instructions with those things. I bought a cheaper ball joint for the same application and like all except the MOOG unit, it doesn't have the cover plate. I believe (based on the part description) that the rubber dust boot goes over the ball joint and then the cover plate goes on top of that to pin it down. After that, as I did with my ball joints, you pass the ball joint through the top of the upper A-arm so that the plate and backing hold it from falling through. Lastly, place the 3 bolts in from above and tighten the matching 3 nuts from below. When you grease it with the zerk fitting, it's normal for a full ball joint to squeeze a little grease out. You can flush the ball joint to get fresh grease into it this way as well, if say the car sits for a long time or the grease is somehow contaminated. You can post pictures too, that may help.

Last edited by eb110americana; 10-22-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Often times, ball joints will come prelubricated. However, these appear to be a built-your-own-balljoint setup. The above mentioned instructions are pretty good. When it comes to applying the grease, we always suggest synthetic. Typically one click will be sufficient for the balljoint. It doesn't need to ooze out to get its job done, but if some comes out it's not the end of the world. Just get a towel and wipe off any excess and keep an eye on it. It will collect dirt rather quickly.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats how i did it, but it doent seem that its right, the boot isnt holding grease and it seems like its strectched or something, ill try to take a pic

Quick Reply: how does upper ball joints go together??