Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake pedal goes to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pedal goes to the floor

The last time I drove the car the brakes worked as they normally do. Since then I have installed a 90mm LSX intake, TB and XER 230/236 .595/.601 110 LSA 110icl cam. Today is this first time I drove it since the new mods and the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor to stop. I mean it’s very bad as in it lines up with the clutch pedal when I’m at a light and both are pushed in. There is almost no feeling in the brake pedal when I push it and when it gets to the floor I have to push very hard to stop. I checked the reservoir and it is full. I also checked for leaks under the car and there were none. Is the master cylinder going bad or is it bad? What could be causing this problem if it’s not the MC? If it is the MC is a Cardone 102865 MC from Advance Auto ok? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vacuum leak?

assuming you didn't do anythign with the brake system, its doubtful that it failed at the same time.

a large cam, can cause low vacuum, and give poor vac assist, but to the floor is weird?

Ryan
Old 04-22-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would guess you have a vacuum leak. Check the hose from the back of the intake to the mas cyl.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Sounds like you left the hose off the rear of the intake. You have a large one and a small one in addition to the sensor hook-up. Hope this helps,
Will
Old 04-22-2004, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A vacuum leak will not cause the pedal to go to the floor. Your brakes at least need to be bled. The condition you describe is dangerous. Please do not drive your car until this problem is corrected.

Last edited by Gary Z; 04-22-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I looked at the car again. No vacuum leak. I pulled on the hose to the brake booster and it made the swish sound. So I got in the car and with it off and when I pushed on the pedal it felt a little stiff but with about 2 more pumps I heard a gushing sound. Went to the front and my line lock is hosed. It was coming out of the side of the solenoid. I'll bleed the brakes and start the car tomorrow to see if they work now that I took the line lock off. It was a SLP unit for those that want to know.

Quick Reply: brake pedal goes to the floor