Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

breaking in pads/rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking in pads/rotors

Whats the proper order for seasoning rotors and bedding pads when replacing both pads and rotors at the same time? Would it be a better idea to do the two installs separatly and just do one break-in at a time?

Last edited by kyle97; 04-23-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I, against the standard advice, break them in together. I follow the pad manufacturers recommendations (which vary from pad to pad). For race pads it is usually 4-6 stops (not quite stopped) from 30-35 mph, drive 5 miles to cool the brakes (not using them much), then about 4 stops from 60 (nearly stopped 60-5 mph) and cool them again. But this is for my race compound pads, street pads will not want to get that hot and I recommend you follow their instructions.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My service manual says, always break in new rotors, with new pads. And do so by making several very firm stops. Starting out at slows speeds, applying the brakes firmly. Then making 3 or 4 higher speed stops. Even getting up to 60 or 70 and doing a couple of full stops. Make sure you give your brakes time to cool, don't do all of this at once.

It also says, you should turn the rotors, in order to get the best wear of new pads. But, I was always taught, if the rotors don't surge, or are not marked up, just replace the pads. They won't wear as well, but it will save you some cash. ALWAYS use new pads with new rotors.

I just happended to replace my rear brakes today, on my older Fbody, the 2000 Formla. The front already had PowerStop rotors added with new ceramic pads about 7 - 8 months ago. It seems my son must make a lot of sudden stops, since he is the only one who can wear brakes out so fast!

Now the rear brakes gave up. The dealer said there should be room for "two turnings", but the measurement, or current thickness wasn't enough to turn it even once. I doubted the brake repair shop, having just come from a dealer who told me this. Well, apparently the dealer did not measure the rear disks, when they did the "free brake inspection", because there wasn't enough rooom to turn them and be within the minumum thickness to safely operate. Of course, the brake shop tried like heck to sell me new rotors. Luckily I took advantage of the recent GP on brake rotors. They aren't here yet, so I just had them put new pads on. I will let my son wear those out before I put on the new rotors. Maybe I will save those for the Firehawk, it will make them look sharp.