Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension set-up Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension set-up Questions..

This summer, I plan on putting a Moser 12-bolt with 4.10's in my car, along with doing some suspension mods. Now-I would much rather build a car that handles badass, and accelerates decently, not the other way around. I plan on using BMR Tubular K-member, tubular a-arms, and HAL QA1's front and rear (12-way). BMR Adjustable panhard rod, Front and Rear BMR SwarBars (32mm front, 21mm rear), Eibach Pro-Kit springs in the rear, BMR "Drag pak" Torque Arm, BMR LCA's.

Now, my question is, if I wanted to run that set-up every now and then at the track, would I be able to get a decent launch out of the car? I figure if I had sticky tires in the rear (i.e. e.t. streets, or e.t. drags), and I loosened up the shocks in the front for better weight transfer, that I *should* be able to get a decent launch. Which is another reason I went with the Drag Pak tq. arm set-up, seeing as since it is a shorter design, it moves the "instant" center rearward helping plant the rear tires a little better.

I'm not looking at trying to plant a 800rwhp car, just 430-450at the tires N/A.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If handling is your main concern, loose the HALs as they are primarily a drag shock.

Why are you so set on BMR parts? By all means they are good products for the money, but as far as handling and longevity are concerned (bushing wise) they aren't the best choice.

But to answer your question, with the parts you have listed, yes you will be able to launch decently. You just won't be able to launch to your full potential like if you had some soft drag springs or stock spring.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Well, as far as the HAL's go, they are 12-way adjustable, and they are "said" to be have ride height adjustability, as well as being able to adjust ride quality. I could probably do the same with a set of Koni Adjustables as well, but the adj. ride height is kinda nice.

Not set in stone on BMR products. Have some of their products on my car righ tnow, and am very satisfied with the quality of them. What's wrong with the bushings? Also-I'm trying to keep everything in the suspension "together", not building a mutt with bmr this, hotchkis that, etc.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow98TA
Not set in stone on BMR products. Have some of their products on my car righ tnow, and am very satisfied with the quality of them. What's wrong with the bushings?
This is what wrong with BMR products ...

http://69.56.235.42/forums/showthrea...hreadid=374871

If you read through the thread you will see numerous examples of people with bushing, end and build problems.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Rod ends are better than some poly bushings because the suspension does NOT bind and they don't allow any deflection (poly bushings will flex a tad under heavy loads).

The reason I asked was for two reasons. One you saw above, and two BMR doesn't really make many of it products with rod ends. Now if you plan on just having some fun on the street, then BMR is probably a good choice. But if you're looking to get serious and carve a lot of corner on the weekends and go to autox events and stuff like that, then you might want to look at some better parts.

The HALs are nice that you can change the ride height with, but Koni's can let you do that as well, just not as much. A seemingly semi-budget type of aggressive street setup is Koni SAs up front and some Bilsteins in the rear (either 3rd gen or HDs). It offers decent performance at the strip, and very good handling characteristics of the car. Yes, that's the setup I'm using.

Quick Reply: Suspension set-up Questions..