Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car Making Metalic Sound on Right Turns Only

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Car Making Metalic Sound on Right Turns Only

This is my wife's '93 TransAm. It's had pretty gentle treatment in her hands, but has 150,000 miles on it now. The sound comes from the rear of the car when making right turns only at moderate speeds, without using the brakes. Left turns never cause the noise. It sounds almost like that sound you get when the brake pads are worn out and the wear indicators kick in.

I'm just about out of ideas on how to fix this. So far I've replaced the C clips in the differential, replaced the brake pads, rebuilt the calipers, replaced the rear wheel bearings and seals, and backed off the parking brake cable. I've checked the exhaust system for clearance with the drive shaft. There is no tire/wheel fender clearance issues because it has stock wheels and tires and has not been lowered. Any ideas would be much appriecated!
Old 04-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this out, http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=124895 This may be your problem. I had a similar issue on my old 94 formula.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cal
This is my wife's '93 TransAm. It's had pretty gentle treatment in her hands, but has 150,000 miles on it now. The sound comes from the rear of the car when making right turns only at moderate speeds, without using the brakes. Left turns never cause the noise. It sounds almost like that sound you get when the brake pads are worn out and the wear indicators kick in.

I'm just about out of ideas on how to fix this. So far I've replaced the C clips in the differential, replaced the brake pads, rebuilt the calipers, replaced the rear wheel bearings and seals, and backed off the parking brake cable. I've checked the exhaust system for clearance with the drive shaft. There is no tire/wheel fender clearance issues because it has stock wheels and tires and has not been lowered. Any ideas would be much appriecated!
Have you had the rotors turned. I just went through that same noise a couple of months ago. My rotors needed to be turned, b/c the pads wore down "too far". Hope that helps.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK thanks, guys, I think you both have hit on my problem, and it apparently is a common problem on LT1 cars. I had just replaced the brake pads, but I didn't turn the rotors because they looked pretty smooth. It looks like the solution is to either turn the rotors, or install some shims, or maybe do both. I did notice that the calipers come very close to the disks; I may even try a little grinding with the die grinder, just to be different than everybody else.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK just as a follow up on this, I took the caliper off the disk and ground down the two places that rub, and now the problem is gone! It was obvious where the caliper had been rubbing by the shinny metal. No use of shims, just a die grinder. Thanks again for the info guys! I should have asked the question here first before I did all that other stuff.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default You're welcome

I'm just glad I could help a fellow F-Body brotha.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: Car Making Metalic Sound on Right Turns Only