Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Parking brake rubber boot question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parking brake rubber boot question

I replaced my rear rotors/pads and noticed the parking brake rubber boots on both sides were deteriorated. I got OEM boots from a member on here and looking to install them.

What's the simplest way to get the parking brake cables off the lever so I can slip the new boot on? It looks like I could remove the two rear cables from where it attaches to the front cable, but wanted to see if there's a better way.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Disregard this. I now see how the parking brake cable in the rear detaches from the bracket and then there's enough slack to unhook it from the lever.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It's not always that easy. I recall having to use a pair of vice grips to hold the spring back on the shank so I could get it off the lever.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Launching!

wssix, In my case, for both sides I needed to remove the cable from the rearmost bracket (using screwdriver to compress the retainer fingers, then it pushes through and can be removed). In addition, on the driver side, the plastic cable tie needed to be cut and on passenger side the metal hanger bracket removed. Then there's plenty of slack to remove the cable from lever.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Nice to know. Did the tension release on one side when you unhooked the brackets, etc.? Or did you have to do both sides at once for the tension to go down?

I've always been afraid to mess with those plastic retainers in fear that I'd break one and not be able to find a replacement part.

Quick Reply: Parking brake rubber boot question