Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2002 WS6 Suspension Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 WS6 Suspension Questions.

I recently bought a WS6 that was previously lowered. It does have lowering springs, the stock springs were not cut. I have the stock springs, and the new ones are red. The shocks were not replaced, and I am hitting the tires from time to time. What would be some options on shocks?
Next: what can be done about the suspension noise? Every WS6 I have driven has a suspension squeak. Is there something that can be done without buying all new struts. This is not my DD, and I only drive it on nice days. The car only has 40k on it.
Here is the car for reference:
Old 03-04-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill2002
I recently bought a WS6 that was previously lowered. It does have lowering springs, the stock springs were not cut. I have the stock springs, and the new ones are red. The shocks were not replaced, and I am hitting the tires from time to time. What would be some options on shocks?
Next: what can be done about the suspension noise? Every WS6 I have driven has a suspension squeak. Is there something that can be done without buying all new struts. This is not my DD, and I only drive it on nice days. The car only has 40k on it.
Great looking car.
First, we have shocks on all four corners, no struts.
Next, while getting new shocks will drastically improve ride quality, handling and overall feel of the car (even brand new off the show room floor the orange/black decarbon shocks you have are total garbage) it likely wont fix any rubbing issues you have with the tires in the rear. You will need to either lengthen the rear bumpstops with a spacer, or roll the fenders.
As for the squeak noise thats likely a bushing. Check the rear LCA bushings, front control arm bushings and front swaybar D bushings.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Bill, welcome to LS1Tech!
I thought that the car looked familiar from the NastyZ site

Like JD AMG said the stock shocks suck and suck even worse when the car is lowered. First try to figure out what is rubbing and go from there.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

I will check the bump stops, and replace as needed. I will also get some half way decent shocks and put them on the car.

Hey Harbones, just trying to get this thing where it don't hit the tires on a bump. It will get there..
Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Great looking car.
First, we have shocks on all four corners, no struts.
Next, while getting new shocks will drastically improve ride quality, handling and overall feel of the car (even brand new off the show room floor the orange/black decarbon shocks you have are total garbage) it likely wont fix any rubbing issues you have with the tires in the rear. You will need to either lengthen the rear bumpstops with a spacer, or roll the fenders.
As for the squeak noise thats likely a bushing. Check the rear LCA bushings, front control arm bushings and front swaybar D bushings.
I looked last night, and it seems the bump stops are gone. Even the plate that they bolt to. So my first order will be the bump stops, then go from there.

Quick Reply: 2002 WS6 Suspension Questions.