Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

5th Gen Brake Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gen Brake Swap Question

I picked up a set of 5th gen brakes recently but haven't had the time to do that swap yet. I have been reading around on the threads and from what I am reading, the 5th gen rotors need to be machined out to 70.7mm.

I was talking to my local machine shop about this to check prices and they suggested that I machine down the hub to fit the rotor instead. This makes sense because I wouldn't have to pay to have the rotors machined every time that I need new brakes.

Does anyone have experience with doing this swap that machined down the hub instead of the rotor? Any thoughts on doing this? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm assuming because it's easier to take a pair of rotors to a machine shop and have them increase the diameter of the rotors to the desired size to fit over the wheel hubs rather than removing the hubs and/or spindles, taking to the machine shop, and reducing the diameter for the same result.

It is an idea that's crossed my mind before when the time comes for me to pre-assemble my chromoly suspension to just buy a new set of hubs to have machined prior to assembly.. It would be nice to have the diameter issue resolved so that replacement rotors can just pop right on. Unless there's something I don't know about with harming the structural integrity of the wheel hubs, I think it's just a matter of convenience for the majority of people to just have the rotors machined.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you machine your hubs, then the wheel won't be correctly centered. Itll have more of a chance to off centered and cause vibrations and damage to the car. It's a stupid idea. Just have your rotors machined or get a dremel and lay your stock rotor over it and measure it so you know how much to grind off
Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advise. I didn't think that machining the hubs would cause any vibrations if they were machined properly. But I can see how that would effect the structural integrity of it. Just thought it would be more convenient to throw on a new set of rotors without having to machine them in the future.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Granted it will cost a little money, you could have hub centric to car and wheel centric to wheel adapters made for your application. Hub centric rings could be a possibility for people like myself who want to retain ARP studs and Eibach spacers. I've ran aluminum adapters on the back of my car for a couple of years now and for 4 years on my Jeep with satisfactory results.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advise. I think I'm going to just have the rotors machined out for now.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmurphy9900
Thanks for the advise. I didn't think that machining the hubs would cause any vibrations if they were machined properly. But I can see how that would effect the structural integrity of it. Just thought it would be more convenient to throw on a new set of rotors without having to machine them in the future.
Regardless of the hubs being machined correctly or not, there is a strong possibility of vibrations.

Our wheels are hub centric, meaning that the wheel actually fits the hub, and centers itself on the hub. By reducing the diameter of the hub, the wheel becomes lug centric, meaning it relies on the lug nuts and studs to center the wheels.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Brake Swap Question