Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

seized push pin!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seized push pin!

Guys and gals, I have a seized push pin in my brake caliper bracket, and I cant get the ornery bastard out for anything! Anybody know the best way to get it out without breaking everything? I've already been trying to just buy a used one with good push pins on the sales forums, but haven't found anything yet. So I'm going to try to fix this one while I wait for something to pop up. Any help would be awesome, thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can try to heat it with a torch, but if you have a pick and pull yard near you they are all the same from 98-02 including the v6's, and most pick and pull yards have a million v6's
Old 03-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Launching!

For some reason I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about, but at work when things get really stuck like that, we might take a rivet gun and hit it with a straight or tapered rivet set. You might not be set up with air tools, though. Just a though.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

I went through this the last time I had my brakes done, it was wearing the pad uneven and warping the front rotor. But I had a mechanic do them (since the rotors needed turning), from what I remember he put the caliper bracket in a bench vise and started trying different tricks on pulling it out, sorry I couldn't be more help but it was months ago. check youtube
Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZForce1
For some reason I'm having a hard time picturing what you're talking about, but at work when things get really stuck like that, we might take a rivet gun and hit it with a straight or tapered rivet set. You might not be set up with air tools, though. Just a though.
Isn't the slide pin housing already screwed up though?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When I had that happen on my Trailblazer (same basic design) I clamped down on the pin with a bench vise and was able to wrench the bracket around enough to get it to come free after a couple minutes. Then I cleaned the bore out with the proper size drill bit, sprayed it out to clear the bore of any remaining gunk, and reassembled everything with new boots, grease, etc.

If it is really bad it might be worth just getting a new bracket. I don't think they cost too terribly much.

Quick Reply: seized push pin!