Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installed and installing the energy suspension motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installed and installing the energy suspension motor mounts

It wasn't in the instructions, but anyone know how tight the 4 bolts that hold the clamshell together after the rivets have been drilled out need to be torque to?

since they have the lock nuts for each bolt, we tighten them as much as we could without using the torque wrench, but since we still have access, we can tighten now if they do have to be torqued to a certain amount..
Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't torque mine down -- just wrenched as tight as I could
Old 03-31-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

I figured if it needed they would have put it in the instruction sheet since it was very detailed on what needed to happen to install.

thanks, just wanted to make sure before we start reinstalling other parts that will make access a PITA later.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

if its anything like the prothane............those bolts you use to hold the clam shells together are only for ease of assembly.......once the mounts are bolted to the block the bolts on the shell are not needed as the block bolts will hold the clam shells together
Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
if its anything like the prothane............those bolts you use to hold the clam shells together are only for ease of assembly.......once the mounts are bolted to the block the bolts on the shell are not needed as the block bolts will hold the clam shells together
I agree....

I installed the ES motor mounts in my car a long time ago, and I don't remember the EXACT procedure, but I do recall that ES enclosed a couple of "ty-raps" to keep the halves together as you installed the mounts on the frame. I got creative, and used a couple of small, pan head screws.....probably overkill, but it did the job.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

Not sure what clamshells you have, but this is what was on our 99TA

And to install the new "Energy Suspension" mount inserts you have to drill out the rivets which are in the center top and 3 at the bottom, the mounting holes on the outside of the mounts are not part of the two halves coming together, so not sure I understand how the bolts would hold the halves together without first securing with the 4 bolts provided.

This mount I can see that statement being true, but this is now what was on our car
Old 04-03-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is a '96, therefore an LT1 powered car, so I have the mounts that are pictured in the "below" shot of the picture above.

Quick Reply: installed and installing the energy suspension motor mounts