Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

loose steering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose steering?

98 z28. Steering feels really loose. There is a humming creaking noise when making low speed turns. I get vibration in my steering wheel about 50mph up. And it feels loose on the road, like it'll sway to one side then the other.

I thought maybe bearings. So I jack up the pass side, try to get wheel play up and down and side to side. No play up and down but I could move it a little tiny bit right and left. But it was smooth, not clunky like i would expect from a bearing. I did see a little movement in the spindle by the bushing. Maybe not tightened enough?

Drivers side is the same. No play up n down, a little smooth movement right and left.

Wheels have been balanced and I had an alignment.

Do both front wheels need to be up at the same time to check for wheel play?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace your inner and outer tie rods. Get that out of the way as they are cheap.

If your wheel didn't move from top to bottom I would assume your ball joints are ok.

Rotate your tires, if possible, just to be sure it is not a tire related issue.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Replace your inner and outer tie rods. Get that out of the way as they are cheap.

If your wheel didn't move from top to bottom I would assume your ball joints are ok.

Rotate your tires, if possible, just to be sure it is not a tire related issue.
Is there any write up with pictures on how to do that? The inner tie rod is just the piece behind the hub right?

Unfortunately I cant rotate my tires as they are 17x9.5 fronts and 18x10.5 rears.

I do notice if I hit a really bumpy portion of road my steering feels even more loose, almost to the point of serious concern.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Teching In

How many miles are on the car? Is there any play in the rack and pinion or is it leaking? I had a rack and pinion start to fail. It would turn really easy/fast in one direction and it had a vibration like you described, but if I turned the wheel, say to go around a corner on the highway the vibration would disappear. When I straightened back out the vibration would continue. On bumpy roads it would throw the steering wheel in all sorts of different directions you would have to fight it to keep it straight.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gak68
How many miles are on the car? Is there any play in the rack and pinion or is it leaking? I had a rack and pinion start to fail. It would turn really easy/fast in one direction and it had a vibration like you described, but if I turned the wheel, say to go around a corner on the highway the vibration would disappear. When I straightened back out the vibration would continue. On bumpy roads it would throw the steering wheel in all sorts of different directions you would have to fight it to keep it straight.

I dont notice any leaks, but im not sure where to check. I dont really feel the vibration at slow speeds.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I always felt like mine was a bit loose or had more play than other cars I've owned. I dont think it was the tie rods. Something between the steering wheel and the point at which makes the tie rods move. Not sure exactly where it came from.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by countryguy1717

I dont notice any leaks, but im not sure where to check. I dont really feel the vibration at slow speeds.
If you jack the front of the car up and look directly under the car you will be looking at the steering rack then the lines run up to the right. Check the ends of the rack for leaks. Also check around where the steering shaft goes into the steering rack it could be leaking there as well.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Checked the tie rods they seem fine, shook side to side and the outer tie rod moves in unison with the bar.

Checked the lines running into the steering rack and the lines to the right, no leaks

Old 05-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Teching In

It might be the rack and pinion gears have some play in them, or it could be in the steering shaft. Jack the car up and have some one hold the steering wheel tight while you move the tire back an forth. If there is a lot of play you at least have an idea where where to start.

Also check your control arm bushings and make sure your strut bolts aren't loose. There are a lot of components in the front end that could give you a poor ride.

I notice you never brought up if the struts have ever been replaced. Old struts or low quality ones will give you a horrible ride because they cannot properly control tire movement and when you hit a rough section your tire will be bouncing on and off the road.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

I see stock decarbons in the pic above so gak68 may be on to something lol
Old 05-21-2014, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

They are the stockers, but that wouldnt make the noise while turning would it?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could be the joints on the steering shaft. Grab that and feel for play. Just make sure you aren't feeling the steering wheel move.

Driver side right where it bolts to the rack and try and twist. Would feel similar to a worn u joint I'm a driveshaft and if it is starting to sieze it can groan/creak

May not fix the vibration or humming but it can tighten that steering
Old 05-21-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would replace those shocks, since you say they are stock and worn can introduce a lot of uncontrolled body movement -- get Koni Sport SAs if you can swing them.

If you notice the humming/horn-like noise when doing turns -- even large gradual ones, you could have a bad hub bearing -- had that issue on my RS and replacing that side's hub bearing corrected it.

There may be some other issues here too.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem with my car. Turned out to be the bearings in the steering shaft. Just let an expert change them out for you.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Bushings bushings bushings. They are not going to be in good shape if they are original and will have a lot of play in them, especially the caster bushing.

Quick Reply: loose steering?