Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I have lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have lowering springs?

I have a 95 firebird formula, I bought it with blown struts and shocks, and am in the process of changing them.

When driving the car I find it rubs on speed bumps and the car cannot be jacked up unless I drive it up on some boards.

I want to see if I can raise the car up to the stock ride height, im just not sure if I already have stock springs or have a lowered spring kit.

I measured the rear springs which are removed from the car and I get approx 14-3/4".
The fronts still connected in the strut but out of the car measure 11-1/4".

Are these stock? Any help would be great
Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, regardless if they're cut or sagging stock spring, or lowering springs it sound like you need new springs. A stock height car wouldn't be having those issues.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnturboz
I have a 95 firebird formula, I bought it with blown struts and shocks, and am in the process of changing them.

When driving the car I find it rubs on speed bumps and the car cannot be jacked up unless I drive it up on some boards.

I want to see if I can raise the car up to the stock ride height, im just not sure if I already have stock springs or have a lowered spring kit.

I measured the rear springs which are removed from the car and I get approx 14-3/4".
The fronts still connected in the strut but out of the car measure 11-1/4".

Are these stock? Any help would be great

If you can post a picture of the side view of the car, we can most likely tell if you have lowering springs in your car.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
If you can post a picture of the side view of the car, we can most likely tell if you have lowering springs in your car.
I already have the shocks out of the car, does anyone have any measurements listed some where by chance?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What color are the springs? Most (if not all) lowering springs are other colors besides black.

Also, what shocks are on there?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Both front and rear are painted black. The rears have a bitnof undercoat on them which leads me to believe theyre stock. The rear also had the decarbons still. The fronts are black and have kyb agx on them.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

I would think you could look up the stock springs and get a measurement. Or do a google search. Every time I do a google search about my car, something from this site pops up. A lot of good info here.

Quick Reply: Do I have lowering springs?